Jeep Cherokee for towing- to buy or not to buy? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jeep Cherokee for towing- to buy or not to buy?

I'm in the market for a vehicle that can tow a horse float. It would be just the one horse, and no more than fortnightly. I don't like utes and would prefer something that I could comfortably drive in the city, and limited to 10g budget.
I'm considering a 2006 Jeep Cherokee JK Sport MY06 Auto Diesel, but would like some feedback/advice on if this would be suitable for my needs. Pros/cons/experiences/things to be aware of etc, all would be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 288 Times in 210 Posts

My daughter uses a 2003 grand Cherokee to tow a 2 horse float and it has the upcountry suspension and it does this job very well. We added a quadradrive rear axle so now it does not get stuck in muddy paddocks.
Old 13-07-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many k's has it clocked? Any problems experienced apart from bogging?
Old 13-07-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 288 Times in 210 Posts

338,000kms and still going strong, it is a 6 cylinder 4.0L petrol, and although the basic driveline (engine, trans and diffs) is sound and reliable it has had a litany of sensor and other electrical system failures, but that is the price of owning a jeep.

We picked it up cheap when it was 7 years old with around 170,000km and it has always served the daughter faithfully well towing, all over the state and into southern NSW and on a couple of occasions climbing the pentland hills in 38 degree heat with the A/C on and it coped well not getting hot and bothered at all. I have used it on a couple of occasions to tow heavy trailer mounted earthmoving equipment and it has always acquitted itself as a good tow platform.

They are not the most trouble free motor car but if you can fix them yourself or have someone you trust to fix it for you then their cheap resale value means they are often screaming bargains and bargain basement entry price to get a vehicle with over 3T towing capability.
The towing economy is pretty respectable around 14.6L/100km.
Old 13-07-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

2 or 4 door. And how heavy is the horse float and horse weigh in at. The JK may be on the limit for that weight. Mabey better off with a grand cherokee.
Or are you looking at a KJ. The KJ is a magic tow unit.

Last edited by cherokee94nz; 13-07-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 13-07-2018
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Classic Boy. It sounds very familiar to my previous experience with a Jeep Wrangler; very reliable, keeps trying even under pressure, and what issues it had were minor compared to the Territory that I owned after it.

cherokee94nz; 4 door, horse is est 500kg tops and the float will likely be hire ones as that's a later-date purchase. The model is indeed a KJ...bit of dyslexia above apparently, my bad.
Post New Thread  Reply