WK2: BMackin Build & Adventure - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-03-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default WK2: BMackin Build & Adventure

Hey!

Inspired by Numb Thumbs & Kev I've decided to create a thread of my own. I hope you enjoy the posts & photos as I setup my WK2 for some camping, off-roading and a bit of fun.
Old 22-03-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that is great news!

i'm loving these new Jeep Looks and clean simple mods!!!! gotta keep it looking nice you know so lets start you off...

what color ?
Old 22-03-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: BMackin WK2 Build & Adventure

I've been following the other two and I'll be following this one as well.

I wish Saguaro designs a front and rear bumper for WK2's as well. I'm still waiting on the new design for the WH.

Sent from my S3 using Low Range

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 22-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's my WK2 on the first day.

2012 Grand Cherokee Overland
Mineral Grey
5.7L Hemi
Quadra-Lift Air Suspension
Rear Electronic Limited Slip Differential
Panoramic Roof

Basically I got all the goodies I could, heated/cooled seats, sat/nav, Adaptive Cruise Control, etc.. I seriously considered going with the Off Road Adventure Pack II, knowing I would be going off road regularly, but I wanted the fancy 20" rims for around town. On the Overland the only thing you gain from the Off Road Adventure Pack II is the skid plates and it was cheaper to buy and install those than it was to buy the 20" rims.

So...

The very first purchase I made, was all the skid plates. I've had a few off road vehicles in my day and I must say I was impressed with the skid plates. They are heavy gauge steel and well designed. I should've snapped a few photos of them before they were put on, but sadly I didn't.

Last edited by bmackin; 14-10-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 22-03-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts
Default Re: BMackin WK2 Build & Adventure

I think you need an aftermarket muffler the HEMI in those it's tamed to a point you couldn't recognise it anymore (plus no HEMI badges on the rear door).

I'm not sure if it would matter or cause any issues by gutting out the existing muffler and installing 2 new one's individually. Maybe best to ask the shop, I don't even know if they have any performance stuff similar to the existing muffler on those, as it's a single unit.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 22-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Next was a Tow Hitch. I went with a Reese Hayman. At the time the dealer wanted some absolutely ridiculous amount, about 2x more than they charge now (which is still too much). So I went to ARB and they recommended a great place called Miami Towbars.

Since the spare sits inside the vehicle there is actually a lot of room underneath the back of the WK2. This makes for a fairly easy install, but also allows them to tuck the hitch up underneath, which looks much nicer and doesn't decrease your departure angle very much. They do cut a notch into the rear bumper for the hitch to poke through, but if they do a good job, it ends up looking really nice.

I like that it allowed me to remove the stock tow hook, which improved the departure angle significantly. And now when I recover from the tow hitch, it is a centered and balanced pull.

Here's a few pics for anyone who's curious. I took these today, not when the tow hitch was installed, but you can still see how it all fits.

After my first trip off road, I noticed they mounted the wiring harness underneath the bracket, which of course led to it getting damaged. I went back and had them rewire and remount a new harness up above the bracket, where it is a bit safer. The guy was great and only charged me $20 for the labor.

Last edited by bmackin; 14-10-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 22-03-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briteway View Post
I think you need an aftermarket muffler the HEMI in those it's tamed to a point you couldn't recognise it anymore (plus no HEMI badges on the rear door).

I'm not sure if it would matter or cause any issues by gutting out the existing muffler and installing 2 new one's individually. Maybe best to ask the shop, I don't even know if they have any performance stuff similar to the existing muffler on those, as it's a single unit.

Thanks for the info on the mufflers. I am definitely looking to make a few performance tweaks. I emailed Hennessey Performance in the US, and asked what was around. They've got a good deal of stuff for the new SRT and some of the other 5.7L Hemi's - Challenger, Charger, WH, & Ram Pickups but nothing for the new Jeeps yet.