spare key question from a new guy - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-08-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Programming is the same as most JEEP remotes and keys - to remove any non functioning items and program ONLY those that are required. This has ALWAYS been the case. The only reason you need the dealer to do this is to gain access to the PCM memory which is not available without using the Chrysler bus and not available on the DRB ports, for security they are seperate connections.
NOTE: the key can be cut by anyone, this does not program the key, only make the key fit the locks.
If the dealer has to cut the key, they send it out to a locksmith anyway, but you will PAY for this pleasure BIG TIME.

Last edited by Escapable; 21-08-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 22-08-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

my local mister mint store now has a program machine and they scaned my jeep key and the machine came back with a match and they can make a progame key to match,the best thing is that the end of the key is removable and can be changed so when you sell your car you take the spare end off and get it reprogramed to suit another car.
the price was $170 which isn't cheap but they can do it and if it don't work you don't pay.i have seen the machine,they got it about 2 months ago.
not sure about the newer ones but with my wj if you have 2 keys you can program your own third key yourself but it has to be the right key type.
Old 22-08-2013
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I rang up a locksmith and they quoted me a genuine key and coding etc worked out similar to a dealer. I asked about eBay keys and they said it can be done but they are not always winners- some are good, some are crap, some dont work. Might be an expansive gamble to go with a $80 eBay key.
Another locksmith said they dont deal with Jeep keys because they have had issues in the past.
Old 22-08-2013
Established Member

mister mint scan your original key and copy the code to the new key.
Old 23-08-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been told that keys from the US for WK's (I bought two for about $100 I think) run on a different immobiliser frequency than the International WH models.

I've had them cut and can get in if I accidentally lock my other key inside, but alarm goes off and it obviously won't start, as I haven't had it programmed yet. Dealer said can't do, but will try a good locksmith when I get the chance.
Old 23-08-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,854 Times in 2,282 Posts

I'll have to check out my local Mister Minit and see if he cut and code my WG key which has been sitting in the glove box for about 2 yrs, he couldn't cut it back then and advised a locksmith for the job, just never got around to it. Though I did think the ECM had to be coded to accept the new key .

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 24-08-2013
Established Member

I'm pretty sure they copy the code from your old key and put that same code on the new key so that the car dosn't know they are different keys.
Post New Thread  Reply