Servicing the 3.7 - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

any chance you could add in there what type/brand of oil/fluid, filters etc that you used? Cheers
Old 02-11-2011
Rated the trail

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default Step one: Drain engin oil

Well this step is fairly simple and straight forward. I jacked my car up and placed it onto six jack stands standing it on the chassis to get a little bit of height. Now I am not sure how to post the pics in the box here but I'll attach photos with a bit of editing...

So Step one I disconnected the battery negitive terminal as I was going to be working on a number of things and the service and build manual suggested I did.

Now once the car was jacked up I did two things whilst there initially.

1) Placed a oil pan directly under the cross member. Removed the sump plug of the engine oil located near the cross member under the vehicle. Once the pulg was removed with a no.13 spanner anti clockwise I cleaned the plug and placed it somewhere safe Picture: one round circle points it out.. I also removed the oil filter including the O ring it came with (make sure you have this O ring) Pic 2 circle red around the filter

2) The manual says to remove the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator but I have read that you loose it's seal and struggle to get that back once you did that so I changed it somewhat slightly... I removed the bottom hose to the radiator located on the drivers side under the radiator, and the the coolant bottle cap and allowed it to drain into a second pan. Pic 3 circle around the hose clamp, pic 4 arrow points to the radiator cap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	50874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	50875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	50876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	50877  

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 02-11-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2011
Rated the trail

Default Filters and oil

I used rayco filters from Repco, the oil filter was around 19 dollars, air filter I got from dealer a while ago but to buy em new from repco was around 50 dollars, the transmission filter I bought from the dealer with ATF+4 2 bottles for 207 bucks together and gasket maker from supercheap which is ATF resistant, the serpentine belt I bought from repco for 56 bucks.

As for part numbers I cant say other than whats in the build manual, however repco typed it all in their computer and it came up with all the parts. I also bought a new waterpump from them as well. The old one (OEM) had plastic as the turning bit that pumps the water around for lack of better words the new one has a cast iron one. Mine was leaking quite severely due to the rubber gasket worn out and caused my over heating problem on the beach. Ultra tune use repco as their supplier anyway...

the oil I used was 10w40 SAE fully synthetic although it was recommended by the computer for semi synthetic. Now I know what you are thinking the manual says 5w30 or 10w30, the dealer mechanic recommended as mine has done 120000 odd to go to the 10w40. I used penrite for this but it is really preferance or choice and price of course... If anyone else has a better opinion why I should go back to 10w30 please let me know...

ill take photos tomorrow of the old parts... Still in canberra and am doing this via my iPad..
Old 02-11-2011
Rated the trail

Default Engine oil

Once the pan was drained, I simply filled the new filter first with new oil and the screwed it one as tight as I could by hand BE CAREFULL NOT TO CROSS THREAD IT!! Also make sure the O ring is sitting right on the new filter

I then simply put in my new oil via the oil fil cap found near the air box. I put in three litres at first and then kept filling little by little depending what the dip stick measured.... Stopped when the oil met the mark on dipstick indicating safe. The engine had not run at this point for a week so it was cold too and on a level ground
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	50878  

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 02-11-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2011
Rated the trail

Default Trans fluid and filter

This was a little tricky because ideally you dont want to get the oil on the bend of the exhaust that runs the back side or flat side of the transmission fluid pan. this is where the filter is.

So you need to remove all but the passenger side bolts with a size ten socket again lefty loosey (anti clockwise). once you've removed the bolts slowly loosen by alternating between the differant remainin bolts. Once slight ly loose place a pan under the transmission an tap the opposite side of the pan (Unbolted side) to loosen it off the gasket seal. So undo all the blue bolts in the pic then slowly alternate between the red until you have got most of the oil out of the pan to control it. Like I said it goes everywhere and just wipe off the oil off the car when it does..

oil will start to come out, as you loosen the bolts more the oil comes out.... this meathod stopped me from loosing the whole pan once I lost the seal of the gasket

once pan was down I unscrewed the filter with a spline tool, there were two screws holding the filter. make sure you get the old O ring with the filter. Let transmission completely drain. While I was there I undid the top bolt of the transfer case with an allan key and once I undid that I undid the botoom. You'll need a set of big allan keys. The blue represents the top bolt and the red the bottom. BLUE FIRST!! If the blue does not come off then DONT UNDO THE RED!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	50879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	50880  

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 02-11-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2011
Rated the trail

Default Transmission and Transfer

Once the transmission and transfer had drained fully, I simple put the new filter in with its new O ring and screwed in with two bolts needing the spline tool, and run a thick bead of gasket maker around the pan including over the bolt holes MAKE SURE THE PAN AND THE MAGNET IN THE PAN ARE CLEAN, gave it two minutes to form a dry skin then bolted it onto the transmission with the bolts torqued to the correct torque. The manual says that the bolts 8.6 markings require around 54nm.

put the Drain plug of transfer case back in the bottom (red) and then using a oil pump from supercrap i pumped in the ATF+4 into the transfer via the blue hole til it poured out of the hole.

I filled the transmission once the coolant had been replaced. Dont run the engine until coolant has been replaced. Remember it was drained at step one.
Old 02-11-2011
Rated the trail

Default Air Filter

Easiest Job ever.....

Simply unclip the two front clips, un hinge the cover at the back of the box, replace the old rectangular filter with the new. The rubber of filter needs to be on top of the filter......

Mine will look different because I have a snorkel and the OEM in take is removed..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	50887