What would stop you from buying the Next Gen Grand Cherokee? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having read all that I'm surprised you've kept it for so long. Doesn't sound as though there is much you like about it.
Old 05-11-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

G'day Jenko,

Mate if felt like that about mine or any other thing i owned i would have just sold it and moved on.

But in saying that i speek to a lot of people with new cars and 4WDs and from what i here good luck finding something thats all the things your Jeep isn't.

Maybe i've been lucky the only major thing was the Swirl motor and that's a Merc. fault not Jeep and a Crank Angle senser,and Jeep was kind enough to supllied all the parts for the Swirl motor (and it's over a year out of warranty) as i am still fighting with Swann over that one.

But if you do find the perfect 4WD let me know and i'll grab one to.

"Such Is Life"
Old 05-11-2010
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkomagic View Post
The WH has an independent front end the the next model is fully independent as far as I know
Ok that another reason why I kept our WJ
Old 05-11-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

I've owned 2 grands a V8 and my current 07 CRD, the only issues I have had is with Jeep Australia.I have mates who have Nissans, Toyotas, Rodeos and Landrovers and as far as I'm concerned the diesel engine and the 4x4 system QII will outperform them every time. It will clean up a 200 series V8 Cruiser in a drag. So for me I would still buy a Jeep, unless I win Gold Lotto when I'll buy a Range Rover Sport and a BMW M5 for the wife and because it would be too powerful for her to drive I will get it to drive all the time.
Old 05-11-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

> driving position all wrong (after 5 years I still don't know where the controls are in the dark)

Agree, it's the worst left hand to right hand drive conversion I've seen. They moved the wheel and pedals and that's it.

> lack of telescopic steering wheel for reach

It's perfect for my height.

> melted lego interior

You obviously haven't driven a Nissan lately!

>poor quality of parts used (everything fails )

I've only got 120k on my WH CRD but have had nothing replaced other than turbo inlet seal (done under warranty without my asking) and have just replaced the rear brake pads through wear.

> small fuel tank

I don't call 800km range small but sure, would like a bigger tank.

> weak air conditioning

My only complaint with the aircon is frozen hands! Yours working?

>creaks and groan's

None other than ocassionally the rear nudflaps slap against the shocks over rough bumps.

> worst rear seats ever

Maybe. Don't sit in the back. I will say however that the rear seat folds flat and I can sleep in the back. The only other 4wd which I could do that in when I was shopping around was a pathfinder.

> accelerator peddle to far away from side wall

Haven't noticed, maybe I have big feet.

> park break location

See comment above about LHD to RHD conversion. Add to that buttons on wrong side of centre console, even gear labels next to the shifter are on the wrong side.

>feeling like its going to break down every time I drive it

As per comments on poor parts. Have never had an issue.

> needs more than 5 gears CRD does 2200 rpm @ 100km. 1800rpm would be nicer

Yes, when I first got it I thought "gee, it revs a lot for a car with over 500nm of torque at 1800rpm". Since upping the wheel size and thus effectively raising the gearing I get worse fuel economy, even allowing for the change in speedo calibration, (which brings me to my main gripe, they can't spell litres!) so will now admit that perhaps they knew what they doing! Talking CRD here.

> standard wheels are small compared to Prado, Pajero

True

>standard suspension too soft

True

> bonnet release location

Did I mention it's a crap LHD to RHD conversion? Though in all fairness, I only pull it when stopped anyway so what difference does it make other than it's not where I expected it to be.

> poor visibility

If you're talking about out the rear window then definitely.

> uncompetitive warranty

Agreed. And the extended warranty aint much better km wise.

> dealers use public as there R&D test mules

Don't know what that means. Might be time to change dealers. Biggest issue over west is limited choice of dealers and little chance of assistance (should one need it) outside the city.

I love my WH. Shame you haven't had a similar experience.

Last edited by hills46; 05-11-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

And you've put up with this you say for 5 years?

Geez mate that's perseverance, did you upgrade from a P76 from new?

Jeep peaked at the WJ...!
Old 06-11-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Regardless of post counts if you put it out their, everyones free to comment, maybe you just got a lemon, the other fellas never had a problem, weird eh?
Bit off topic but I'd like to share a story about Jeep Australias suspect working, I'm having 2 rebuilt QD diff put in at a well respected diff shop in Parra (changing from open diff to QD - not a failure), mind you I have had hardly any issues with my WJ since new, now at 150k km, except new torque convertor, and that's probably my fault, anyway they toldme in 99-2000 they where doing 9 Grands a week, to replace noisy diff bearings on brand new Grands, they said Jeep would send them over on a flat tray with a car cover over them. Don't think I saw that one as a TSB. Good they fixed them bit questionable build quality?
Post New Thread  Reply