Rubicon JL on 35s or 37s: what does it take - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If I remember correctly when someone posted the Vic ticket structure cops were using when they had their summer 4wd crack down the things all officers are looking for at a stop would be ride height, tire height over stock, track distance over stock, lights and mudflaps, tire coverage by the fenders and likely the sticky outy bits as well.

Coming from the USA myself this is a whole new world of rules and regulations. And while the new Jeeps may look stock on 35's it doesn't mean they won't do a test during an unrelated stop just to make sure. Risk it or not is your call, but I sleep better at night being legal.
Old 29-05-2019

What Jeep do I drive?: JK

I've been running my JK '09 Wrangler (235,000 km from new) for about 7 years with DBOR Front Bumper, Custom made Rear bumper with Tyre carrier on 285/70 17 stock rims and a 3" Lift kit and factory guards.

Ground clearance currently 275 @ front diff and 250 @ rear diff ,(stock unladen is 220 assuming that is at rear diff)

Clearance at chassis rail is 395 @ front behind cross rail and 415 @ rear in front of link bracket

Never checked these measurements before.

Have never been stopped for inspection in any state or had a negative interaction with police regarding the Jeep,,,, only the driver

Old 22-11-2020
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Would you guys be allowed to buy the US spec Rubicon flares and run 35s and no lift without having to get the engineering spec? That seems like it would fit that 50mm rule.

Heck, the JT with US Rubicon flares on 37s with modest offset wheels barely looks modified.

Last edited by Beowulf; 22-11-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Old 22-11-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Would you guys be allowed to buy the US spec Rubicon flares and run 35s and no lift without having to get the engineering spec? That seems like it would fit that 50mm rule.

Heck, the JT with US Rubicon flares on 37s with modest offset wheels barely looks modified.
Australia is over regulated and over legislated. We have six states and two territories, all with their own vehicle legislations, and road laws .....
Old 22-11-2020
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Under ADR's the Max tyre diameter increase without engineering is 7% so the largest tyre you can fit is 295/70r18 (34.3") = exactly 7% larger then the 255/75r17 (32") stock tyres,
Fitting the USA flares would provide more room for flex but would not change the legality of tyre size.

Each state has its own interpretation of the ADR's (Australian Design Rules) that they enforce.

NSW for example allow up to a combined 75mm of lift without certification, this would mean for the typical Aussie 4x4 a 2" (50mm) suspension lift and a max tyre size increase of 2" (is only a 1" height increase of 25mm). Note: On most Aussie 4x4's a 2" tyre size increase will exceed the max 7% over standard tyre size.

A TJ here would be right on the limit with 295/70r18's or 34.3" (28mm height increase) and a 2" (50mm) suspension lift given that ADR's allow a 5% tolerance for manufacturing differences.