Flinders & Gammon Ranges, Lake Eyre and Surrounds - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-01-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts
Default Flinders & Gammon Ranges, Lake Eyre and Surrounds

I know the SA people are a bit thin on the ground in this forum, but I think SA has some of the best spots in Australia. Before I got tied down, I would happily drive 12 hours to Broken Hill, and then gun it through to the Flinders and Gammon Ranges, camp there for a while and then head north to Lake Eyre and further on to Oodnadatta and the west Simpson - Dalhousie, Mt Dare, Purni etc.

My spirit soars like an eagle over these places as I write this....

You can only appreciate it if you have camped in these places, particularly near the Lake, the Neales River, and as I mentioned the mountainous regions north east of Port Augusta.

I hope to physically return there with my missus and youngster someday soon.
Old 26-01-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
I know the SA people are a bit thin on the ground in this forum,
Bit thin on the ground out in the wild as well!! I was on Goolwa beach yesterday and in the 8.5k to Murry Mouth there wasn't more than 100m of beach without a 4x4 parked in it! How many jeeps did I count? One!

Mabe they were real offroading?!

XJ Sport 98
Old 26-01-2009
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronvont View Post
Bit thin on the ground out in the wild as well!! I was on Goolwa beach yesterday and in the 8.5k to Murry Mouth there wasn't more than 100m of beach without a 4x4 parked in it! How many jeeps did I count? One!

Mabe they were real offroading?!
I don't know where they are... they sound as scarce as they were when I did my first inland trip north into South Australia 11 years ago. Every time I stopped at a servo like William Creek or Marree, I would get looks from people about why I would bring such a prestige car into the bush. The most common cars back then were Cruisers, Patrols and Pajos.

It is funny to think that an XJ turned heads back then and was considered a luxury item. I saw a couple of Jeeps off road and they were never in trouble, one in particular was a limited heading east to Alice on the Mereenie Loop road which is the most treacherous road, that I have ever experienced in terms of corrugations. There were a lot of breakdowns of other makes - but fortunately, we made it into Kings Canyon without incident.

I am sure that every other 4WD owner parked on the beach would have noticed you, and envied your ride.
Old 27-01-2009
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just arrived last night from my trip from Darwin to Sydney via port augusta, SA was definatley the more boring part of the trip, the scenery doesnt really change that much, the flinders ranges were nice to see, all the lakes were cool, coober pedy was out of this world, never seen anything like it, craziness...i didnt venture off the stuart hwy, because i was actually moveing at the sme time, next time i do it ill be heading offroad for sure...was too bloody hot at this time of year as well... i thought darwin was hot! will post up pics in another thread later

Last edited by lovemewrangler; 27-01-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 27-01-2009
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemewrangler View Post
I just arrived last night from my trip from Darwin to Sydney via port augusta, SA was definatley the more boring part of the trip, the scenery doesnt really change that much, ...i didnt venture off the stuart hwy, because i was actually moveing at the sme time, next time i do it ill be heading offroad for sure...was too bloody hot at this time of year as well... i thought darwin was hot! will post up pics in another thread later
Want to see boring? Try the Stuart Hwy stretch between Tennant Creek and Katherine. This is B-O-R-I-N-G. The horizon doesn't change for kms and you mind starts to play tricks on you... there could be a large cow in the middle of the road but you wont see it because your mind has freeze-framed an empty road going into the horizon because .... it just does not change. Maybe this should be the topic of a new thread?

Yep, agreed, it is too hot this time of the year to safely go inland on your own. Next time, on the SA side, try the Gammon Ranges, Arkaroola, and the track into the West Simpson and north to Alice. Lots of fun...
Old 27-01-2009
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
Want to see boring? Try the Stuart Hwy stretch between Tennant Creek and Katherine. This is B-O-R-I-N-G. The horizon doesn't change for kms and you mind starts to play tricks on you... there could be a large cow in the middle of the road but you wont see it because your mind has freeze-framed an empty road going into the horizon because .... it just does not change. Maybe this should be the topic of a new thread?

Yep, agreed, it is too hot this time of the year to safely go inland on your own. Next time, on the SA side, try the Gammon Ranges, Arkaroola, and the track into the West Simpson and north to Alice. Lots of fun...
I disagree, that stretch of the hwy was far more interesting, especially at this time of the year, all the creeks were flowing, everything was green, it was magic... w had a swim nearly every 100k's in a nice creek, it was beautiful.. in the dry it is not as good but still not nearly as boring as the stretch of road from the SA border to Port Augusta... at least you can find the odd pig, dingo, snake or wild life, SA was just barron, didnt see a single bit of wildlife in the whole stretch of SA to PA. just the occasional dried up lake towards the end..

my mate told me to take the oonadatta track, which he said was one of the best drives he has done, but i was running out of time and was to unprepared for unfamiliar roads... im sure it would be better heading off the track..and a different time of year, but the road from SA border to Port augusta on the tar at this time of the year for me was boring as bat shit
Old 31-01-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Trouble with the Flinders is all the good 4WD spots are now closed off.
If you want to do any REAL 4WDing you have to pay to go on private property.
In fact most of SA is now like that with the no. of good 4WD spots dwindling rapidly.
Another track in Pt Lincoln NP just recently got closed & it was the best one.
Just a matter of time before they close the robe -beachport tracks.