Return to Jeep - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2023
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts
Default Return to Jeep

Hi all after a interval of non-Jeep ownership I'm back, the old Xj we had is still going and currently in the ownership of our nephew and still going strong.

We have just bought a 2014 Overland and is stock as a rock and I have a lot to learn so will be asking lots of questions to get up to speed on this, add in it's my first diesel car just to make things more interesting.

My first topic is regarding fitting a towbar, the car currently doesn't have a towbar fitted and is in need of one for towing our caravan.

Firstly does the rear bumper need to be removed?
Where is the trailer connector located for the wiring to connect to? And how do you gain access to it?
Does the trailer connector include the wiring for trailer brakes and if so where is the front connector for this?
Does the car need to be "programmed" to make use of the trailer connector? Any idea on how much this costs and who can do it in SEQ?
Anything else I need to be aware of?

TIA.....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 07-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,885 Times in 2,299 Posts

Yep rear bumper needs to be removed as the tow bar slots into the so called chassis rail................. I would advise to get a proper jeep tow harnes, its plug and play with the connection under the left hand side pocket in the back........... an electric brake connection is also in this area with a red and blue wire taped to the harness but you have to run your cabling from your brake unit to these wires, I picked up power from the jumper terminals under the bonnet and ran thru the unused grommet on passenger side, if you look beside the blower motor its easy to see, use this for all cabling into cab, just so easy, ran the cable form the controller along edge of door trim under back seats and dummy rea floor to LH side pocket, theres a grommet hole in the cavity to run cable to outside for tow plug. ................ can't remember if it needs flashing or not, I don't think so...

Make sure the tow bar has a compliance plate fitted and is rated for 3500kgs as there are ones for lesser loads..... the WK2 bar is far better than earlier versions in way of mounting just ensure its torqued up properly... can't advise on a brand as mine came with it and I can't remember who made as plate is hard to read now..

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 07-04-2023
RubiconSlammer

Liked 1,115 Times in 592 Posts

I had a new 3500kg Hayman Reece tow bar fitted to my 2015 a few months ago by a tow bar mob, and they didn't remove the bumper...I had them fit a 12 pin plug for me at the same time. OK, it cost me close to $2k when all was said and done, but if something ever went pair shaped I wasn't the bunny that fitted it...

I had the identical bar on my 2014 and it was clear of the rear bumper as well.

Dunno where they connected the wiring, but all works fine. I then had my favourite Leccy fit a new brake controller, as well as an Anderson plug to run the fridge in the van while on the move.
Old 07-04-2023
RubiconSlammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
Hi all after a interval of non-Jeep ownership I'm back, the old Xj we had is still going and currently in the ownership of our nephew and still going strong.

We have just bought a 2014 Overland and is stock as a rock and I have a lot to learn so will be asking lots of questions to get up to speed on this, add in it's my first diesel car just to make things more interesting.

My first topic is regarding fitting a towbar, the car currently doesn't have a towbar fitted and is in need of one for towing our caravan.

Firstly does the rear bumper need to be removed?
Where is the trailer connector located for the wiring to connect to? And how do you gain access to it?
Does the trailer connector include the wiring for trailer brakes and if so where is the front connector for this?
Does the car need to be "programmed" to make use of the trailer connector? Any idea on how much this costs and who can do it in SEQ?
Anything else I need to be aware of?

TIA.....
...I have the 3500kg Hayman Reece still fitted to my old Jeep, as well as the Hayman Reece brake controlled if you are interested...I am in Bris...
Old 07-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
...I have the 3500kg Hayman Reece still fitted to my old Jeep, as well as the Hayman Reece brake controlled if you are interested...I am in Bris...
Are you selling it?

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 07-04-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,885 Times in 2,299 Posts

I can't see how they fitted it properly if they didn't remove the bumper, just to get at the bolts on the mount to check tension I have to drop the bumper as the bar rails go into the chassis .. amongst the dust the tow bar fitting underneath.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 07-04-2023 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-04-2023
RubiconSlammer

[QUOTE=drover;1690719]I can't see how they fitted it properly if they didn't remove the bumper, just to get at the bolts on the mount to check tension I have to drop the bumper as the bar rails go into the chassis .. amongst the dust the tow bar fitting underneath.

I think you have the genuine factory bar Drover...they appear to mount slightly differently to the after market Hayman Reece as the tongue receiver is a tad higher...the trim below the bumper itself appears to be modified too.
There were no mods to the4 bumper at all on mine...