Engine Replacement! 2014 GC Ecodiesel - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-01-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 830 Times in 467 Posts

Were those distances between oil changes ,if so ,lucky FCA offering anything !..Were you towing?
Plenty of lowish k motors in wreckers pay around $5000 up plus install.Where are you?
Old 25-01-2021
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Were those distances between oil changes ,if so ,lucky FCA offering anything !..Were you towing?
Plenty of lowish k motors in wreckers pay around $5000 up plus install.Where are you?
If an unknown history motor at a wreckers is $5,000 I would be grabbing the new one for $7,500 for sure. The $5,000 for fitting probably ok if it all comes with Factory Warranty. It won’t be a small job.
Old 25-01-2021
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 135 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Hey Bendo, sorry to hear about your GC. I feel for you and hope the fix goes smoothly. Given the detail on history and service etc I think its great FCA will pay half and would take advantage of that for sure in order to get a new engine. It will come with 12months/20k kms warranty (well mine does) unless they give you more. I was expecting 2-3 years.... but not so lucky.

My quote included $12k for engine plus $2600 in labour plus extra parts/fluids that need to be replaced. To be honest, I think they lowballed the labour component and underestimated time it was going to take (they are a new Jeep Dealership). I would expect the rate to be higher. (maybe 3K to 4k max)

Quotes for replacement 2nd engines now around $6k mark. Full Rebuilt/Reconditioned engines are at the 12k mark also plus shipping.
I would go with the new one, let them handle the work and get the warranty. Maybe push to see if FCA will cover a component of labour as well.... can only try??

On a side note: In my extended period without the car, have driven several loaners/hire car.. Cherokee, 2019 GC Nighteagle, Wrangler (heavily modified), Compass, Ford ranger and Toyota Prado. It made me realise how good the GC's are, great ride, great inclusions, space and with a new engine (more powerful and nicer to drive than all of these) makes even a 2014 not that much different than something new. Just my two cents. Drive it hard and look after it in the first 12 months after replacement and if anything else is to go wrong should know by then (hopefully!)
Good luck and keep us posted, look forward to hearing it happen quicker than my saga!
Old 25-01-2021
I just registered

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi All,
Thanks for the replies. I'm tending to agree in general. It's probably a reasonable offer ( although I'm not feeling lucky right now!!). My main query was with regards to the labour cost which I just had no idea about, so the feedback is much appreciated.
In some ways their offer is almost too good... why would they unless they know there is some relatively common major defect that is causing this type of failure. But in the end we're probably in a bad position to push really hard. I HAVE just sent an email to ask VERY nicely if they will reconsider their offer a little ( see how that goes), and to clarify the details around cost and warranty etc. I'm wondering if we are paying a retail mark-up on our portion of the engine?
I'm also wondering what has changed to make servicing now OK at 12months/20,000kms?? Are they significantly different engines?
We are in WA and there are not too many other local options for engines, I would probably have to freight a recon engine ( 1-2 in Victoria). There is one at a local wreckers asking $9500. No choice really. But I'm still wrapping my head around 13K when it's likely to be a manufacturing fault ( but impossible to prove easily), and even if we could prove it they could point to slow service history as contributing. Grrr....

Yes we were towing at the time, but less than 1800kg so not really pushing the specs... pretty flat country too. All temp monitors no probs. Last service 3 months ago.
We have a trip coming up in July which will take us a long way from the nearest Jeep dealer.... 4000km round trip!! So I AM getting a little gun-shy of the Jeeps reliability. More a question of being user friendly rather than reliable. Once you hit north-west WA every make becomes hard work ( except Toyota because every mining company uses them).

It's possible/likely that for that reason alone we might have to sell then Jeep once we get it running again. How do you value it I wonder? If it was worth 25-30K before, when it had a 155,000km engine what would it be worth with a new one.... hmmm. Not sure really .... still in the middle of processing all of this. I like our Jeep!

Thanks for all of your help. If anyone has any other thoughts then please chime in.
Cheers Bendo
Old 25-01-2021
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,926 Times in 2,318 Posts

I don't know where the 20,000km service interval came from but I certainly wouldn't, I do mine at 10,000kms and if on the road I will at least change the filter, depending on what the oil change indic shows, usually 47%............

I regularly drag my rig 2.8t and travel 4 to 6,000kms at a time and while it could be a worry out back of Cunnamulla and other places, when you think about it anywhere away from the big smoke would be a drama, in fact blow your Cruiser up out woop woop and your in just as much strife, why I always carry a BiC.....

It might be worth $20K.......

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 25-01-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 25-01-2021
Established Member

Liked 135 Times in 72 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendo View Post
Hi All,
Thanks for the replies. I'm tending to agree in general. It's probably a reasonable offer ( although I'm not feeling lucky right now!!). My main query was with regards to the labour cost which I just had no idea about, so the feedback is much appreciated.
In some ways their offer is almost too good... why would they unless they know there is some relatively common major defect that is causing this type of failure. But in the end we're probably in a bad position to push really hard. I HAVE just sent an email to ask VERY nicely if they will reconsider their offer a little ( see how that goes), and to clarify the details around cost and warranty etc. I'm wondering if we are paying a retail mark-up on our portion of the engine?
I'm also wondering what has changed to make servicing now OK at 12months/20,000kms?? Are they significantly different engines?
We are in WA and there are not too many other local options for engines, I would probably have to freight a recon engine ( 1-2 in Victoria). There is one at a local wreckers asking $9500. No choice really. But I'm still wrapping my head around 13K when it's likely to be a manufacturing fault ( but impossible to prove easily), and even if we could prove it they could point to slow service history as contributing. Grrr....

Yes we were towing at the time, but less than 1800kg so not really pushing the specs... pretty flat country too. All temp monitors no probs. Last service 3 months ago.
We have a trip coming up in July which will take us a long way from the nearest Jeep dealer.... 4000km round trip!! So I AM getting a little gun-shy of the Jeeps reliability. More a question of being user friendly rather than reliable. Once you hit north-west WA every make becomes hard work ( except Toyota because every mining company uses them).

It's possible/likely that for that reason alone we might have to sell then Jeep once we get it running again. How do you value it I wonder? If it was worth 25-30K before, when it had a 155,000km engine what would it be worth with a new one.... hmmm. Not sure really .... still in the middle of processing all of this. I like our Jeep!

Thanks for all of your help. If anyone has any other thoughts then please chime in.
Cheers Bendo

Ideally it would be best to get them to tear down the engine at least to identify the damage (where practical). There is obviously different levels of forensic mechanics that can be done and all depends on how much it will cost.
However, you mentioned Metal in the sump/oil. Is it chunks or very fine? Some feedback from my inspection (and this formed part of the evidence in my case) was If it has chunks it normally indicates some type of catastrophic failure which is sudden and dramatic verses fine metal which indicates wear over a long period. Even better if they can identify metal from two or more areas as this would indicate oil starvation of some sort and really needs inspection of oil pump / oil cooler / egr leaks etc. if it sounds like timing is out and noises are inline with camshaft impacting valves (there is known issues with the camshaft sprocket slipping causing failures. ). Worthwhile questioning them on this and ensure it’s investigated correctly. Can be hard and might involve some upfront costs to prove it’s an issue.
As you said however can be challenge knowing how hard to push but worth it I think. I did stacks of research and pushed my mechanics and insurance to investigate properly until we got to the bottom of it. Hope that helps and you get to identify the cause. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-01-2021
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 830 Times in 467 Posts

12 month 20000k services.are there to be in line with other manufacturers FCA play the numbers game ,more sales verse maybe mechanical claims ! There is also A and B sevice interval info.This should be read carefully in all vehicles manuals.20000ks oil change intervals are idiotic.not only is oil starting to loose its lubrication properties in diesels ,raw fuel contamination can be a problem.You are extremely lucky getting that sort of offer,I am dealing with FCA at the moment re peeling carbon fibre trim (not lifters yet!)in a 60000 k GCSrt hemi.Getting a resolution is like plucking teeth out of a chook.I am in front at the moment.Maybe FCA now Stellantis ! really are putting consumers worst.!!
Post New Thread  Reply