Reversing Light and Relay, Switch Box - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2008
Queenslander

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Reversing Light and Relay, Switch Box

Some may have read that I've had an ARB Rear Bar fitted recently. In preparation for the new bar, I removed the reversing light that I had added some time ago. As the new rear bar has now been fitted the time came to re-fit the light.

While I was going to took the opportunity to rebuild the relay box and this time I took some pictures along the way to assist other who may be interested.

The rebuild consisted of all new wiring, heat shrink, 6 point connection block, lots of solder, and shielded spade connectors.

All the gear used here was purchased from Jaycar except for the light, which I picked up at Supercheap for $30 bucks!.

Anyway, enough preliminary information. I started by using some low guage wire and wired up the lights in the switches. These light up when the switch is in the 'o'n position. They are piggy backed off one another, soldered, protected by heat shrink, and are wired straight into the connection block, to the designated + and - points.

The relay and connection block are attached to the cases lid with screws/bolts and are set in position so as to allow room for the switches when the case is closed. In the shot below you can see all the connections. Coming out of the bottom of the connection block from the left are, Ground (-), Power (+), Trigger Wire, spare, spare, Output (+).

What this leaves us with is a switch that provides +12V to the Relay which then turns on the reversing light. The trigger wire has the same effect and is connected to the wire that runs to the existing reversing light. This means I can turn the rear light on by selecting reverse or by using the switch in the relay box. I have also run a trigger wire to the front so that I can activate the relay from the drivers seat, but have yet to install the switch for it.

The end result is a neat looking box that has two switches on it and a relay inside. The other switch is there for the interal lights and is already connected to earth and to the right-hand spare connection on the block. I will eventually run a wire from the box to the passenger door switch so that I can activate the internal lights from the back of the Jeep by turning this switch on, ie. as if I had opened the door.

The box is mounted, well, placed, on the passenger side, between the rear roll bar and the body. It sits their quite neatly and is easy to access even when dark. Here is a picture with the switches off.

Here is one with the on.

The Reversing light is then attached to the ARB bar in the middle of the space filler section on the left as per the below image.

All up, I'm very satisfied with the result.
Old 10-03-2008
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats cool....my reversing light is switched but I cant select between manual or auto reverse like yours.

I got pulled over by an unmarked cop car on the Goldy two weeks ago - driving along the highway with it on! Gulp....turned on their siren to get my attention and told me out the window to turn it off!
Post New Thread  Reply