Diesel Fuel Additive - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Diesel Fuel Additive

Hi All,

Hoping to find out more information in regards to Fuel additives.

1. For controlling water contamination do you use an emulsifier or demulsifier additive? Reason why?

Emulsify = Possible injector issues (high pressure & temp produces steam) / lowers lubrication

Demulsify = Possible corrosion in fuel system when system is sitting / Fuel becomes emulsified again due to in tank transfer pump

2. Has anyone used the approved 05191800AB?
https://www.moparrepairconnect.ca/ch...RS/05191800AB/

3. How often do you check your fuel filter water trap?
4. If you do check your trap how often do you find water?
5. Have you had issues with the High pressure CP4.2 fuel pump?

Thanks,

Freejeep
Old 17-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Hi FARWEST

Thanks for sharing the info. I believe Fuel Doctor is an emulsifier. I have been researching a few other items & discovered the following

- aftermarket fuel filters do not have capability to separate water. (makes me wonder if the water sensor will be triggered)

- The OEM filters have fuel/water separator on the descriptor. I am waiting on confirmation but I suspect they may have a hydrophobic material layer.

- It appears the most common cause of pump failure is lubricity of the fuel or from water damage. Without a lab test to confirm most Australian fuel is 460micron (wear scar) spec for lubricity. For water 200ppm.

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2019L00456

Interestingly diesel is allowed to contain up to 5% Bio without the requirement to be advertised. Mandatory BIO 2% NSW & 0.5% QLD. Bio has a higher affinity for water. Below study for additives shows bio had best lubricity rating. Maybe why HPP's failures seem to be less noticed in Australia.

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTec...itive_test.pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cationCoverPdf

- Most fuel/water separators filters do not remove emulsified water. Testing standard SAEJ1488. The Jeep setup makes things interesting with the in tank transfer pump (90psi) to the HPP.

- Most OEM manufactures in the US trend towards demulsifiers. This may depend on fuel system filter setup e.g filter on suction side of transfer pump.

Thought I would share some info for discussion.

Cheers,

Freejeep
Old 17-12-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,138 Times in 602 Posts

I add around 60 ml of Fuel Doctor to every refuel...though when I experimented with a jar of diesel and added a dash of water, then added Fuel Doctor, it didn't appear to do much straight away. Leave the jar alone and the water seemed to mix in to the fuel.

Whether the stuff really works or not who knows...but I have been adding it for about 6 months now...mostly for the additional lubrication value than anything...
Old 17-12-2022

Liked 53 Times in 23 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I am in the UK and never worried about additives for diesel. When I ran Petrol, the different fuel companies all put in their own additives, from the mega expensive Shell, too the less mega expensive independent garages. Ironically, the only one I ever had issues with (driving 60k miles per year on company fuel card) was Shell, which the cars ran badly on, and later it was found their additives were killing engines. Never used them since.

We only have 1 grade of diesel at our pumps, and in about 12 years of running various diesels, never had a drop of water in any of the traps, but I have only ever used 3rd party fuel filters, which claim to be OEM standard. One car would also run on veg oil, which I would do a rough 50/50 mix (more in summer, less in winter), which meant more regular fuel filter changes, but still no water. About the same time Costco started selling Redex Diesel additive at a considerably reduced price ( regularlyon special offer), so I added it to the veg oil mix, as a few people thought the veg oil reduced the lubrication levels.

Since then, more out of habit than any other reason, I have added it to the Jeep nearly every time I fill up. Ironically, at our annual MOT test (check cars road worthiness) a couple of weeks ago, the tester commented on how low my emissions were and the lack of soot build up in the exhaust system.

Not sure if it is just a lubricant/cleaner or if it is also a (de)emulsifier as well.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
Old 18-12-2022
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,931 Times in 2,320 Posts

With 35K km a year run up on my vehicle most years even back in the working days, I have never worried about these fuel additives, never had water in the fuel system and filled up from some suspect places at times.......... Changing fuel filters regularly and not at the 40K km scheduled time probably helps but if you leave your filters in for ages and the vehicles sits around a lot with half a tank of fuel then its probably needed though some are certainly snake oil and with the touchiness of most CRD HP pumps I wouldn't be using them myself... mine get changed every 10K km, cheaper than additives which really are only any good if the water is accumulated over time, if you get a dose at the garage they won't do a thing and you rarely get just a cup full from a contaminated servo... the folk with water in fuel from a garage are more likely because of poor servicing and it has built up over time, bad servo fuel usually means a lot of vehicles by the side of the road not just one.

If you leave the filter in for the scheduled time frame then the drain should be used at every service, drain maybe half a coffee cup into a jar, let sit and have a look but do it once the vehicle has been sitting for awhile....if I picked any up in a check after 10K km I would be dropping the tanks.

The few truck water in fuel issues mostly have all been down to fuel filter change regime fails and failure to drain at servicing, except once which was deliberate ..

I also leave my chain saw and gennies full of fuel, no additives and never have dramas running them, the saw may get started twice a year with the gennies every 2 months for 10 mins, so some of the fuel could be a few years old at times..... 2 stroke for saw, ULP for the gennies, tried the leave dry decades ago and gave nothing but trouble....

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 18-12-2022
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Whenever I change the fuel filters, I always cut it open & have a look. A few times over the years I have found slight signs of black bugs. This is a reason to use an anti-microbial for a tank or 2.
It's more important to use good fuel. I stay away from many of the cheap fuel stations. Most diesel in Australia comes from either Singapore (Exxon/Mobil) or India. The cheap fuel normally comes from India.
The CP4 pump that is now the subject of trouble & a few recalls, is very poor. The older CP3 is much better.
Old 18-12-2022
I just registered

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies & sharing info.

For aftermarket fuel filters I suggest contacting the brand & ask specifically if the filter can separate or remove water?
Micron rating may be ok, but for water separation filters require special media coalescing/hydrophobic. One would question on a cheaper filter if these exist. If they don't water must be going elsewhere than in the drain.

I agree majority of supplied fuel is probably good. With a potential suspect HPP that is being recalled from a variety of manufacturers in the US with a potential failure worth 10000+ in damages.

It seems there are not many pump issues in Australia which is good news. Has anyone checked their metering valve on the HPP for any metal?

Further research in case you are unlucky to get contaminated fuel
- Warranty does NOT cover contaminated fuel
- Check your insurer & policy. Some do, Some don't cover contaminated fuel.
- Keep fuel receipts. Proof of purchase.
Post New Thread  Reply