Roof Rack - How much load? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickT View Post
Just to let you guys know. I completed a trip with the caravan last year. All I had on the roof rack was a 35KG spare tyre. I hit some very large corrugations
on the Peninsula Developmental road. The 35KG weight pulled one of the bolts from its thread and it started to bang up and down when hitting further corrugations. I was only going 55-60 KPH. Jeep refused to fix it as they said the 68KG limit is for a static load. When I hit the corrugations the 35KG load would have multiplied and exceeded the limit.

Nick
Great....

Im going on a trip in 2 weeks which consists of 220km corrugated and 90km soft sand. Which Im going to load 3*20L jerry cans(required)...

What type of roofrack?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2017
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Imaz, Nicks experience demonstrates what can happen when significant forces are applied to any load up high.
If you check out his post, his photos show a rivnut pulled out though the roof and the damage to the metal around it.
You could check your roof fixings for yourself by taking one side rail off, just takes a couple of minutes.
Risk assess the potential for your trip going pear shaped if the roof lets go......
John
Old 06-09-2017
Established Member

Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts

If you have any fears or trepidation about going on a trip and carrying that amount of fuel on the roof then I'd suggest getting a long range sub tank fitted. Will cost more but you won't have that issue plus the issue of the raised COG. That weight will be below the floor pan..
CSA Raptors
Old 06-09-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
If you have any fears or trepidation about going on a trip and carrying that amount of fuel on the roof then I'd suggest getting a long range sub tank fitted. Will cost more but you won't have that issue plus the issue of the raised COG. That weight will be below the floor pan..
I was considering this last month in prep for this trip, though went jerry can route together with the new roof rack.

I can confirm shaking the roof rack flexes the roof, more noticable on the front half of the car [emoji25]

There is just no time to order a tank and fitment... the area Im heading is so remote an extra fuel is needed.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnK View Post
Imaz, Nicks experience demonstrates what can happen when significant forces are applied to any load up high.
If you check out his post, his photos show a rivnut pulled out though the roof and the damage to the metal around it.
You could check your roof fixings for yourself by taking one side rail off, just takes a couple of minutes.
Risk assess the potential for your trip going pear shaped if the roof lets go......
John
that's exactly why i only put tent, bedding and other light stuff such as tredd's up top on the pioneer tray
Old 08-09-2017
Established Member

Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yea, it would be interesting to know what sort of roof rack was used, if it was mounted on 2 roof rails the load/stress is on just 4 points on the roof. If you compare to the Front runner you have 12 anchor points to share the load/stress from the load. That's why I went for the Frontrunner, makes way more sense whatever load you are carrying.
Old 08-09-2017
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Yea, it would be interesting to know what sort of roof rack was used, if it was mounted on 2 roof rails the load/stress is on just 4 points on the roof. If you compare to the Front runner you have 12 anchor points to share the load/stress from the load. That's why I went for the Frontrunner, makes way more sense whatever load you are carrying.
It sure does, though front runner doesnt confirm its load rating other than some "asked" questions. Have you tried to rock your front runners? My roof flexes a bit, more so on the front half of the car.

On a sealed road, i have confidence it will be fine even with 100kg, no problems. On a long distance corrugated road, 60kg is really too much, I feel one of the roof anchors would give way. Trying to sum up on the repair cost if a roof anchor was torn - is not i would be happy with.

I thought about getting some additional railing fabricated to sit on the pinch weld(under the black plastic), and some how mount it to the front runners for support. Dont think it would come cheap. Considered on skipping the offroad part of the trip...

Oh, and somewhere in between, I even considered a Spare Tyre Carrier which Jerry Holder's which attaches to the Tow Bar AU Made, at $1700(in stock) forget it. I would only use it once and wouldnt be able to park the car in the garage with it on...

A sub tank is now getting fitted two days before our trip. I think Matty's comment is valid, and 3xJerry on the root would change its COG especially offroad. Dont want the risk of laying on the side going up dunes.

Last edited by imaz; 08-09-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply