NEW......T36 Alternator Recall - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-10-2017

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

Will have to check when I get it back tomorrow, I may have misheard him or he was talking crap.
Old 26-10-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts

This is what happens inside the alternator, this was our 2011 diesel last year
Old 26-10-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda42 View Post
This is what happens inside the alternator, this was our 2011 diesel last year
So basically you couldnt tell if it was on the way out unless its apart like that.

Seems like a common replacement for that age and many have changed it at own will.

Is it really a fault as Jeep discribed? PS fluid spill onto the diodes??

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
Old 26-10-2017

Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

Well Jeep is going again, $1237 later, but receipts kept, the main thing I was/am concerned about is what happens to the poor person that has this failure on the highway at 110kph , it is quite a feat to move these things with no power and no power steering, also no indicators or anything else electric, could be a very bad accident waiting to happen with this fault/ issue. Will be interesting to see how many more diesels are effected.
Also I would expect to get more than 78000 ks out of it before it failed. And no there were no fuses on the battery, dont know what he was on about.

Last edited by clarky50; 26-10-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 26-10-2017
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I had this nightmare 3 days ago.
My diesel 13 made 14 GC had smoke came out from alternator. I stopped engine and smoke keep coming even after engine turned off. Was scared and tried to disconnect battery cable. But couldnt find a spanner. it took about 5 minutes until battery totally die off. Called tow car and got towed to my house. My plan was to change alt myself. But when i was at home did some research and found this recall. But my Vin is not on the list. Next day i called dealer and they refuse to take responsiblity as it is not on the list. warranty is out aswell. then i called Jeep and explained the story. they are happy to fix it and asked me to book in a dealer. it is all sorted and ready to pick up tomorrow.
The main info i want to give is it is worth it to fit a battery disconnect switch. it is scary to watch alternator is dead short and highest possible current flowing through cable until battery die off. But dealer said no wirings are burnt except a terminal. Another info is it is still possible to happen even your vin is not on the list. If it happens dealer is still liable. otherwisw it will be costly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 26-10-2017
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky50 View Post
Well Jeep is going again, $1237 later, but receipts kept, the main thing I was/am concerned about is what happens to the poor person that has this failure on the highway at 110kph , it is quite a feat to move these things with no power and no power steering, also no indicators or anything else electric, could be a very bad accident waiting to happen with this fault/ issue.
This is what I'm worried about too. Whos liable if the whole car burns down or causes a serious accident?

Still no call or letter from FCA that the replacement parts are available yet! Those of you unfortunate enough to be affect, are they just replacing like-for-like? No fix to stop it happening again?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 26-10-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 108 Times in 74 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanwintun View Post
I had this nightmare 3 days ago.
My diesel 13 made 14 GC had smoke came out from alternator. I stopped engine and smoke keep coming even after engine turned off. Was scared and tried to disconnect battery cable. But couldnt find a spanner. it took about 5 minutes until battery totally die off. Called tow car and got towed to my house. My plan was to change alt myself. But when i was at home did some research and found this recall. But my Vin is not on the list. Next day i called dealer and they refuse to take responsiblity as it is not on the list. warranty is out aswell. then i called Jeep and explained the story. they are happy to fix it and asked me to book in a dealer. it is all sorted and ready to pick up tomorrow.
The main info i want to give is it is worth it to fit a battery disconnect switch. it is scary to watch alternator is dead short and highest possible current flowing through cable until battery die off. But dealer said no wirings are burnt except a terminal. Another info is it is still possible to happen even your vin is not on the list. If it happens dealer is still liable. otherwisw it will be costly

Sent from my SM-G935F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Scary and seems so common.

What happens to those with dual batteries? Would it cripple both batteries? Would FCA cover batteries?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk