Trip from Perth to Syd - Pic heavy - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-10-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Default Trip from Perth to Syd - Pic heavy

Hey guys,

So you have read in my thread below that i was planning on an across country trip as we have now moved to Sydney. Well good news the trip went well

So we started off once the house was all packed and picked up by the removalists.

We got away at about 2:30pm and headed for Geraldton and stayed at a really nice beach side camp about 50km's before Geraldton.

Next day we headed for Geraldton Bunnings for some shade cloth to put over the grill due to all the bugs!!!! We then headed for Canarvon but made it most of the way to Coral bay and stayed at astation on the Sth side, cant remember the name, but he was not impressed at me rocking in at 8:30pm hahaha

Next morning we wok up to the beautiful waters of Ningaloo reef

Very beautiful contrast to the dry barren coastline. We then kept to the coast the whole way up and got stuck at Yardie creek at high tide, so we had a good look around and took some side tracks and climbed some rocksand had a bit of a fish.

After a few hrs i decided that it was low enough to cross, this went well but i was quite nervous as the sand was so soft i couldnt get the sand anchor to dig in and pull the car ( i thought id test it before i needed to use it) So i got in the creek and the JK started boggin down so i backed her off a bit and got through unscathed. We then went to a camp called Osprey and i got the rods back out for a fish but nothing was caught.

Next Morning was also another quick fish, almost landed some longtoms but they all got the better of me. So we packed up and headed off for a look around, which we were meant to be staying at a camp just up the rd called Neds camp, but the camp supervisor was a total bitch so i left before i let to much boganess come out of me hahaha. Anyway we pushed on up cape range and had a snorkel at turquoise bay, was a bit cold but all good.
We then decided that we would push on a bit further and had a look around Exmouth. With me being in the Navy and the Mrs being X Navy we had to stop and get a pic and the Naval communications base

We filled up the water tanks and gave the car a quick fresh water wash down and the visitor center and headed for the bay for some more fishing

Again no fish!!!!! getting a fair bit pissed off with the lack of fish i headed off at about 430pm towards Tom Price.... Only made it to the turn off on the main hwy.
Next morning we paced up and headed to Tom price, Had a shower at the visitor center, put some washing on at the pub and decided to got for a spin up Mt Nameless (apparently the highest place you Drive to in WA) bloody good spot up there

We also got the usual tourist pic next to a rather small haul truck

Setup for the night just out of town at the turnoff to Karijini NP

I must say that of all the mining places around Tom price was definetly the most pleasant.

Anyway, next day we were off into Karijini - i will let the pics explain them selves

Water was cold but so nice, everyone needs to go to this place at least once in their lifetime i rekon. but dont take kids.....dingo's apparently dont like them

Iv got so many pics of this place it was just so great. We spent 2 full days in this place and probably should have spent more.
We then headed back down to head out to Ayres rock via the Great central rd
Came across this massive chassis of a haul truck
We got from Dales camp to Leanora in a day ( big day) then next morning headed off out to the rock

we had planned to take 2 days to do the trip but it was a great rd (on the WA side) but i like to just follow the rd and it took us all the way upto about 80kms passed the border. Plenty of burnt out cars
and Camels

The next morning was where i ran into the problems with the JK throwing a DTC light after i topped her up with a jerry can.
Anyway its was off to the rock and we had a great time checking it out.

I also found a Thorny Devil which id wanted to see and touch since i was a kid so that was great They are a really cool little creature.
We spent the day and night in Yalara. Next day we filled up the bus and headed for Kings canyon. We didnt really see what all the fuss was about since we had come from Karijini so we kept driving to West macdonnal range and that was nice so we spent the night. Then it was off to Alice for some fault finding which NTrubicon helped out with.One night in Alice and we were off the next day.

We were in two minds about crossing the Simpson desert so we decided to just head to Mt dare and see what the word on the grape vine was.
Along the way i found the biggest can of gods necter iv seen yet

So from there we aired down
and hit the dirt rd's. I was hearing alont of boost bleed of and know that Jeep had just been working on the car i decided to take a look!!!! needless to say im not fu%^ing suprise as to what i found
Quick fix, suprised it hadnt thrown another code!!

We also had a quick side trip to the geo center of our great nation

Anyways it was out to Mt Dare.
Next day we had a good chat with a few people and decided to give it a crack.
Dalhousie springs are a real spinout being so warm in such an oasis kinda place. So we headed out into the dunes

Poepals corner

Ontop of Big Red

Birdsville hotel

From here we got some news form the extended family which we decided that we needed to attend so a snappy day trip from Birdsville to Brisbane and a flight to Melbourne.
Once back in Bris we spent a few days with my parents and my old man even hooked me up with a Tinny which i towed down to Sydney.

Happy to say that we are now in Sydney and the JK was absolutely awesome, with the exception of the constant creaking and rattling of the bloody fibre glass roof (what a prick of a thing).

Thanks for reading

And also a big thanks to Wazza D for the Springs, NTRubicon for the help along the way and also to the people who have commented on my threads with hot tips for me. I am very appreciative to you all.
Old 19-10-2015
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

We'll always have Alice.. And that sunset
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAussie Jeep Offroad1445206040.388376.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	72643
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAussie Jeep Offroad1445206085.274210.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	72644
Old 19-10-2015
Not a very good stuntmam

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

Looks like an amazing trip - definitely on the bucket list!

How are you getting back?
Old 19-10-2015
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Epic trip!

How did the tent hold up against the elements?
Old 19-10-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 166 Times in 99 Posts

Great trip report & pic's.
Thanks for sharing mate
Old 20-10-2015
Established Member

Not going back Jeff, we moved to Sydney.

Tent went fine, not a drama at all, we have had it for four years and its now almost been right round Aus.

Glad you all liked my post.
Old 20-10-2015
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTRubicon View Post
We'll always have Alice.. And that sunset
Attachment 72643
Attachment 72644
Ahhhhh the romance of it all hahaha
Post New Thread  Reply