Fraser Island - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 18-01-2010
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Mate, check the price for the barge at Harvey Bay...drops you at Kingfisher. I did that years ago and if the price is comparable (prob not) then the drive through the island is gold.
Will save you driving up to Bundy and then back down and around to Inskip.

All the best (bastard) and have a fantastic time

Matt.
Old 18-01-2010
I LOVE MY JK WRANGLER

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I have to agree. Check the pricing from either Hervey Bay or River Heads. Longer cruise gives you a bit of relaxation time, plus you can air down whilst on the barge.

It's gotta end up being cheaper than the extra fuel etc to go from Bundy to Inskip, plus you don't have to worry about the tide times.
Old 18-01-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi Metal View Post
My family and friends just got back, first time for us and what a place! We didn't fish as we were too busy exploring, we stayed at Happy Valley which is about half way, we went to Moon Point, Eli Creek, the wreck, Indian Head and Champagn pools, the inland trip to KingFisher Bay was the best track for your wheelin addiction. But make sure you have some tools as 3 out of 4 of our vehicles broke something..

Great place even though it rained, we loved it!

Have fun!
Sounds like you had a good time, but hope you did not miss Lake McKenzie it is a pure oasis.
Old 18-01-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts

just an FYI too... the River Heads to Wangoolba Creek Barge is the cheaper option from Hervey Bay, just make sure if you are arriving at dawn or dusk on the western side of the island that you cover up head to toe....midgie city...
Old 05-04-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Got back from fraser sunday night my first trip up there i had a ball.
just some current prices for people if they are interested, the mantaray barge from inskip to fraser is $100 return, the cheapest fuel $1.86L was at kingfisher, and the most expensive at eurong $2.06L.. and for those with a fairbit of coin in their pocket. there are a couple of places for sale at happy valley, also being 21, i didnt mind the tourists too much, except for the buses that carted them around, absolute lunatics on the inland tracks nearly got cleaned up by one... the pub at eurong has a pool and the drinks are about the same as the mainland, i paid $8.50 for a corona, i also enjoyed the eye candy. pretty much drove most of the island in 2WD at 15psi and didnt have much trouble when needed i used 4wd low, but i'd recommend if your driving up the beach at low tide leaving yor vehicle in 2wd as i used heaps more fuel in 4wd high. had a absolute awesome time. and cant wait to go back for more
Old 05-04-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Hey, just a few questions about Frasier.

When catching the barge from inskip point, is there enough sand a low tide so can you drive around hook point on the beach or do you have to use the hook point inland road?

Also does anybody have a decent map of Frasier Island or know where I can get one?
Old 05-04-2011
I LOVE MY JK WRANGLER

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Best map for Fraser is the Hema one - you can pick one up at most camping stores or at Rainbow Beach.

QPWS Conditions Report is also a good resource (http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01663aa.pdf) and gives a basic map. There's also a map of the island in the permit pack that you pick up from the Ranger Station at Rainbow.

Watch out for Dingos at this time of the year as it's mating season - read http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and...rts/10640.html

Hook point should only ever be driven within 2 hours of low tide. (That's the official line - and for good reason). Outside of this timeframe you literally are risking everything - if you get stuck there's a possibility of no-one passing to help out, and next thing you know your vehicle is buried and you're plum out of luck.