Fighting the urge to sell - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
No matter what you are going to lose a significant amount of money.
That's par for the course here. Fun course to play though.
Old 02-08-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

When I bought my JK over six years ago, I didn't actually realize its potential in off road performance or how much could be done to it to make it even more unique.
Once realized, I decided that this vehicle will most likely be parked in my carport when I fall off the perch.
Hopefully, it will be very old, battered, and not worth enough to concern anyone much.
It's a very comfortable position to be in, just keep throwing parts at it and carrying out mods without stressing about what I may lose if I sell or trade it.
I currently have a great pile of parts stacked in the corner of my lounge waiting for me to get well enough to fit them.
The idea of having to pull all this stuff off would be very daunting to me.
Old 02-08-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza D View Post
When I bought my JK over six years ago, I didn't actually realize its potential in off road performance or how much could be done to it to make it even more unique.
Once realized, I decided that this vehicle will most likely be parked in my carport when I fall off the perch.
Hopefully, it will be very old, battered, and not worth enough to concern anyone much.
I said exactly the same thing when I bought the TJ. The plan was to keep it until it had to be towed away for scrap as it is such a capable and fun vehicle to drive.

Then the opportunity came along to buy a JK. So far I've resisted the wife's calls for me to sell the TJ (it will be in the classifieds next week ) because we decided that the JK will be the keeper.

Then the JL ute was announced......

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 02-08-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

I've just traded my 2010 CRD JKU for a JKUR. I bought the CRD back to stock before I traded. I spreadsheeted all my accessories and priced what it would cost to replace them, this added up to a bit more than $10K and mine wasn't what I would consider heavily modded. With what I got for the trade in and what I saved from being able to put the old accessories onto the new car I reckon I'm well in front even compared to a private sale. The only things I left on the CRD were the long range fuel tank and the snorkel, neither of which I could fit to the Rubi. Yes, I could have pulled the tank out and sold it but I calculated that I wouldn't get for it what it was worth in the effort and parts required to return the system to stock.

When I went to trade I asked several dealers to give me a trade in figure based on the car with all its accessories and another with the car returned to stock. This was all too hard for them and over three dealers I couldn't get a straight answer, they really just wanted to quote on what was in front of them. After a while I worked out that they would allow about $3K at best for the accessories. At this point I decided to return the car to stock and keep the accessories.

This works great if you're trading your car for the same model series and you can use what you already have. In the OP's case he's not going for a similar car so his accessory value is lower as it's second hand value, whereas in my case the value to me was full retail as I would have had to go out and purchase these items. Take your gears for example, do you think you can get the money for them that will be greater than the cost of removing them? It's good if you can do the work yourself, but after having removed my suspension kit from the old car and putting it in the new one my aching bones are questioning the value of doing it!
Old 02-08-2016
Established Member

Liked 44 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
My biggest disappointment with trading would be such a step backwards in capability to go to dual cab. It the little things that grate on me like wet carpets, lack of interior space, and the vagueness on road. But the second it leaves the road the is no comparison!!
Ha I know your pain. Everytime it rained heavily I wanted to sell the bloody thing because it smelled like wet dog until it dried up.

I took the time to locate where the leaks are coming from and sealed them up, no wet carpets now and I don't cringe each time rain is forcast.

As for lack of interior space, do you mean for occupants or for cargo? A ute will be no better, and really, having an open ute tray is so limiting as far as security and protection from the elements goes, and with a canopy fitted a ute is pointless and may as well buy a wagon.

If its for camping, do what I did and fit the Rhino backbone and get a roof basket.

As for vagueness on the road, thats a bit trickier. If it has big tyres, fit smaller tyres, Yes that reduces offroad performance but NOTHING will reduce offroad performance more than buying a dual cab ute. Correct castor if its out, change any worn bushes and ball joints, get a wheel alignment.

Honestly, selling the Wrangler is a discussion going on in my house too. Since its mostly used by my wife her biggest complaint is how difficult it is to park. The terrible turning circle combined with a female driver makes it tricky getting in and out of some spots.
Old 02-08-2016
Established Member

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts

Sell it, buy a crappy dual cab, just don't whinge when you trade the dual cab on the JL that you've wasted heaps of money. You know you'll be buying the JL as soon as it's available, especially after missing the JK. Oh and enjoy the Ranger or whatever forum in the mean time, we'll see you back here in 2019!
Old 02-08-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I said exactly the same thing when I bought the TJ. The plan was to keep it until it had to be towed away for scrap as it is such a capable and fun vehicle to drive.

Then the opportunity came along to buy a JK. So far I've resisted the wife's calls for me to sell the TJ (it will be in the classifieds next week ) because we decided that the JK will be the keeper.

Then the JL ute was announced......
Yep, fully understand what you are saying. I would love the JL ute as well but I doubt if it will happen.
It's a combination of my age and other financial endevours which would prevent me. Nothing to do really with the JK apart from I'm very satisfied with it.
Obviously I wasn't always on this train of thought otherwise this wouldn't be my fourteenth 4x4.