the LCOG thread - Page 21 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-01-2010
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando_13 View Post
A TJ with 35+ tyres will get noticed by our friends in blue no matter the lift.

Back to LCOG...
Firstly the idea of LCOG is not to bang big tyres on a stock car to save coin..
What LCOG is trying to achieve is similar to what a buggy gives you. Big flex, big tyres, flat belly and super low height. Quite obviously a production 4wd will never achieve the super low COG of a buggy, but that is the aim. In fact if you could achieve 37's with a lower roof height than stock than that would be sweet...
Huge Flex would require long arms (JMHO) and to achieve huge droop the use of coil-overs would be pretty much a must.
Belly up gives 3" or so of extra ramp over clearance, 37's give 4" extra clearance under diffs and ramp over. But 37s just raised your roof height by 4" or 3" with 35's. How do we recover this height increase to maintain LCOG?
The use of super high fenders are needed to clear the tyres, but we have still increased the overall height.
The use of coil-overs and the custome mounts required, you could effectively lower the chassis possition, but howmuch up-tracel could be achieved before the diff hits the sump or control arm mounts hitting the tub.

As someone else suggested, the increase in Track compensates some increase in height, so maybe only 1" lowering of the distance between chassis and axle would be required to in effect be similar to stock COG.

Obviously all of that would not be cheap and very much custom, and that is what LCOG is all about.

0III0's rig is an inspiration.
I couldnt agree more with everything you said in this post mate. As i progress with my build i cannot stress enough to people, LCOG is not an easier and cheaper way of building a car. In fact, the cost and time i have spent on building my rig already has out done by far what it cost me to put 5.5" springs and long arms with 35's on, again, in time and money.

Like you said, the whole LCOG theory has come from rock crawling evolving over the years, and turning into moon buggies etc.. running minimal lift with as bigger tires as possible, and still achieving rediculas amounts of suspension travel (both uptravel and droop).

And OIIIO's rig, imho is one of the best built and thought about rigs in Australia, that car is an absolute credit to him.
Old 25-01-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJK View Post
Angle Grinder Fixes everything Paul.... Or you want some Custom Bar work or fenders, i can help with this if you supply some material out of a Bin?
But your always busy and I don't like to impose!
Your are a champion with the angle grinder though!
And I agree oiiio (wayne's) rig is very good Luke! Can't wait ti see yours when it's finished!
Old 25-01-2010
Sponsored by Centrelink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPAUL View Post
But your always busy and I don't like to impose!
Your are a champion with the angle grinder though!
And I agree oiiio (wayne's) rig is very good Luke! Can't wait ti see yours when it's finished!
photo of yours on 35's paul?
Old 29-01-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]
hows that?
Old 29-01-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and back on 33s next to JimBeamSteve,s JK on 35s