Help please - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2011
StaunStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Give us some more info please. What model is your tj? do you have the early electronic ignition setup that has the distributor or do you have the late model coil on plug setup??
Could just be water/moisture in the distributor and spark plug and coil leads, blow them out with a bit of compressed air and spray a bit of water dispersant (WD40) in them, smae with the coil on plug set up, take them off and dry it all out.
Old 03-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
G'day Shaun,

Good to meet you yesterday mate (by coincidence!). It sounds like your timing is out by miles to me - dumb question but do they have a distributor? If you can turn it by hand maybe something knocked it... even if you can't i'd mark where it is now, loosen it off and give it a turn in both directions (turning key in between).

Good luck.
Good to meet u to mate, I will have to find out if it has a distributor but I'm thinking it hasn't thanks stroked I will look into the things you wrote down too thanks again everyone.
Old 03-01-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had a similar problem with my falcon, i came to the conclusion that i had water in my fuel, my problem started exactly the same was fine when running, but then turned it off and then when i started it everything went to shit, with my falcon, i filled up the tank with fresh premuim 98RON, and then drove it, it was noticebly better as soon as i filled the tank but id did take about 100KM of driving before it came good and ran like a trooper again, maybe try filling the tank up and taking it for a squirt.
Old 03-01-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

check your dip stick - is there beads of water on it?
Old 03-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
Give us some more info please. What model is your tj? do you have the early electronic ignition setup that has the distributor or do you have the late model coil on plug setup??
Could just be water/moisture in the distributor and spark plug and coil leads, blow them out with a bit of compressed air and spray a bit of water dispersant (WD40) in them, smae with the coil on plug set up, take them off and dry it all out.
Hi there fil, I have an 06 tj wrangler it looks like it is the coil on plug setup. Cheers
Old 03-01-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilTJ View Post
I had a similar problem with my falcon, i came to the conclusion that i had water in my fuel, my problem started exactly the same was fine when running, but then turned it off and then when i started it everything went to shit, with my falcon, i filled up the tank with fresh premuim 98RON, and then drove it, it was noticebly better as soon as i filled the tank but id did take about 100KM of driving before it came good and ran like a trooper again, maybe try filling the tank up and taking it for a squirt.
Hi mate, will give that a try, cambo no water beads on the dipstick mate.
Old 03-01-2011
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

ok, you have a year '06, so therefore you have the later style cam position sensor in lieu of a distributor that is driven by the oil pump drive assembly (opda) that is geared to the cam shaft

what mileage do you have on the odo? as some 05 - 06 have had the opda gear fail, that puts the cam position sensor out of whack

to check the gear you have to pull the complete opda out

however it does seem a co-incidence that the problem began after doing a water crossing so check things as previous posts first

Last edited by bonza; 03-01-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply