TJ Fuel economy - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-07-2003
HydroKing

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Mine's still stock and my Empty light doesn't come on until i've hit well over 400klm. Perhaps stock tyres are the way to go? I get 450klm easily if i just cruise. If i drag a few cars or give it a bit of stick it drops down a bit below 400klm. The best i have ever managed was 520klm about 5 months ago, i chickened out and filled up before i ran out of gas...PULP seems to be considerably worse on economy, I put about 5 tanks of PULP through ever 6 months or so and everytime it's worse than regular. I don't notice much performance change apart from a significant reduction in knocking/pinging noises when offroad.

When i bought my TJ last year all the 4wd mags and brochures listed it as 15L/100klm. When i bought mine (2002 model) it had a 14L/100klm sticker on it. I had a look at the new TJ's at Southport Jeep yesterday and all the TJ's had 13L/100klm stickers on them. PLEASE EXPLAIN!?
Old 15-07-2003
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Gauge go beep & light comes on...I drive into nearest servo & fillup.....Then drive until Gauge go beep & light comes on again.....
I seriously haven't bothered to look at my TJ's fuel consumption....Know it doesn't make it any better & I know it sucks....so I just feed it when it's hungry & forget.....
Ditto. I've got better things to worry about.
Old 15-07-2003
AJOR Gold

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

What's interesting is that when I was stock compared to my mates stock XJ (same engine) he was getting far further (read 500-700kms) per tank than I was. I know the XJs are slightly lighter, and probably more aerodynamic than a soft0top Jeep, but he was averaging at least 300kms more than I was.
Old 15-07-2003
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

According to our XJ trip computer it's been averaging 14.0L/100km....now that's after we've bought it from a car yard - so chances are it's been given some right foot by test driving public - or at least yard salesmen/mechanics.....

But I believe the XJ does get much better consumption than the TJ mostly aerodynamics (which is a word not in the TJ vocab)...But also the stock XJ gearing is better suited than stock TJ gearing....of yeah and the auto is 4spd instead of 3spd (for most TJ's)....

Anyways I'll be very interested to see how it works out & infact one of the reasons I want cruise control on the XJ is to help for Hwy driving....
Old 15-07-2003
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ah wooders - the TJ is aerodynamic ... like a brick.
Old 15-07-2003
MudSplasher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I routinely get 600-650 out of mine. With the best of 727. Opps that's my Commodore! 350-390 out of the TJ on 33's and 4.10's.
Old 15-07-2003
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Girl
ah wooders - the TJ is aerodynamic ... like a brick
Poohouse....(sorry thought I should finish your last sentence)....

A single brick lacks the wind resitence
Post New Thread  Reply