2008 Commander CRD cutting out - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-12-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Default 2008 Commander CRD cutting out

Hey all, so my Commander went to my Daughter on passing her test. Had been sat for a couple of months on a trickle charge, the battery is only about 6 months old. Last week she didn't drive it for the weekend and the battery was flat. Now I guess I've have a drain somewhere but I'll check the alternator and battery tomorrow. The problem now is it cut out on her, just went from driving fine to full engine stop, some lights came on the dash, she coasted to the side of the road and restarted it fine, went for a few minutes then cutout again. I went down to meet her and drove it home with no problems. My first instinct is an electrical fault, possibly a short leading to the drain. Obviously I don't want my daughter driving a car that can cutout at anytime. Anyone experienced this, any hints on where to look? I drove this before her for 3+ years with no issues like this. 200k on the clock, new turbo about 20k ago, 5k since last service.
Cheers.
Old 13-12-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 127 Times in 96 Posts

Sounds like a faut with the SKIMM security module that works with the key.

Do you have another key to try it with? Either way, get it diagnosed via a OBD port.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Old 13-12-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Get a load test on the battery anyway, even if is near new, a cell can go down and there are six in series.
The stopping while running is a real problem, it should show up on the OBD2 scan.
Old 13-12-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

My CRD was also just cutting out about 2 months ago. Would cut out going down the road and sometimes start straight back up or had to leave it for a little while. Put a scan tool on it and it was the crank angle sensor. Reasonably cheap and easy fix
Old 13-12-2018
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,189 Times in 788 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Second the crank angle sensor.

Has it had the ignition recall? She didn't knock the ignition with her knee? I've never had that problem but that's what the recall was for.
Old 15-12-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XH

Cheers for the responses. Anyway I forgot to mention my Daughter is blonde...
She has a lanyard on her keys and after checking battery, alternator, driving it around etc. I told her to get in and do exactly what she usually does. Anyway she loops the lanyard over the steering wheel and around the indicator stick... It now also makes sense that she told me the full beams were flashing on and off when she tried to restart it... So yeah she was turning left and switching the car off.
Post New Thread  Reply