Wiring up Carling rocker switches - What am I doing wrong?! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-01-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts
Default Wiring up Carling rocker switches - What am I doing wrong?!

Hey all,
I'm trying to wire up my Carling rocker switches to 3 different sets of lights (spotties, rear spotties and rock lights.)

I've started with the rear spotties. They're 16w LEDs that I've wired up using a spotlight wiring kit from Supercheap auto.
This is the wiring diagram..

And ths is how I have wired the switch..

Explanation of what's what..
Pin 8 (top left) has an earth wire plugged into it that is earthed properly.
Pin 7 (top right) has another earth wire that i splice tapped from Pin 8.
Pin 2 (middle left) is the positive wire for the lights which goes via a fuse box
Pin 3 (bottom left) I'm not sure what to call this wire lol but it was one of 3 wires going to the supercheap switch. When the rear LEDs are on, there is power going to this wire.
Pin 6 (bottom right) is wired up to an orange wire that is in the stereo harness (I googled what the wire is for and it's for a stock switch for a hardtop function) it has power going to the wire when the headlights are on.

How I've got it wired allows the LED rear lights to be switched on and off but I can't work out how to wire the switch properly so the lights within the switch work as intended.
When the blue wire is plugged into Pin 3, the top light in the switch stays on even though the headlights and rear spotties are off (if I put this wire onto Pin 6, the bottom light in the switch will stay on.)
When Pin 6 is plugged into the dash wire, the light will turn on when the parkers/headlights are on, but stays on regardless of whether the switch is on or off.

As far as I know, the upper light is meant to come on when the dash lights are on and the lower light comes on when the switch is on. So what the heck am I doing wrong???
Old 27-01-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

7 & 8 bridged together, and to earth or neg on battery
6 to the cable that goes to your lighter illuminating it, that is, the positive wire to the globe of your lighter
2 positive in, to battery with a fuse between the batt and the switch
3 to whatever you want to operate
Old 27-01-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Barbie View Post
Pin 3 (bottom left) I'm not sure what to call this wire lol but it was one of 3 wires going to the supercheap switch. When the rear LEDs are on, there is power going to this wire.
Trying to work out what you mean by this. This is switched power out to the rear lights, then the negative of the rear lights goes straight to earth. Not sure what you mean by the SuperCheap switch? Sounds like you have bought a relay loom from SuperCheap, if so, that wire 3 is power feeding to the relay coil.

Though with 16w LEDS you could run these directly off the main switch. Most of these switches are rated at 5 to 10 amps max and not designed to feed 2 x 100w spotties at close to 20 amps so you run it through a relay loom.

However, 2 x 16w LED's will only draw about 2.5 amps total.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 27-01-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyd View Post
7 & 8 bridged together, and to earth or neg on battery
6 to the cable that goes to your lighter illuminating it, that is, the positive wire to the globe of your lighter
2 positive in, to battery with a fuse between the batt and the switch
3 to whatever you want to operate
Makes sense to me, except TJ's don't have new-fangled illuminated lighters - at least my 97 doesn't.
I stole power to light up my aftermarket switch from the power for the lights on the back of the HVAC.
Result - the light on the new switch comes on and off with dash lights and even dims.
Old 27-01-2013
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Slightly offtopic but what rock lights are you running and where? Any pics you care to share?
Old 27-01-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 54 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks Everyone!! Got it sorted. You guys are legends!

Wes, I got a bit confused by the illuminated lighters too lol but ended up just using the orange wire I was talking about in my first post. Does the same thing I guess.
I'm so happy to be finished wiring!! I'd rather spin spanners than do wiring any day

Acko, i'm mounting the switches (6 in total) where the 12v and ashtray was. hopefully I'll have everything back together tomorrow so I'll post a pic then.. I'm doing it to my TJ though so it won't help you lol
Post New Thread  Reply