WH & XH Parking Brake Replacement - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-09-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie453 View Post
Thank You this was most helpful
Always great to get info for the how to do .... These brake systems have been in use for some years (GM, Chrysler, etc) and are nothing really new and the adjuster tool can be purchased anywhere, and in fact the shoes can easily be sourced locally.... especially see your local brake store (one that actually does re bonding)...... you may have been able to get em delivered really fast and maybe even saved some hassles as they may even stay bonded (the JEEP ones don't seem to want to).
BTW: The pics show some severe lack of maintenance with the rust and corrosion, I would suggest some input of effort to prevent problems but as for the rubber seal.... whoopee!
Old 30-09-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Thanks Briteway, just replaced mine yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briteway View Post
Then remove the actuator lever
I had trouble getting the actuator lever back on, due to a fair bit of pressure (from a spring somewhere I guess?) pulling the cables in.
After a bit of fiddling around I found a VERY easy way... which I guess everyone else already knew? .

I assembled everything without connecting the actuator to the cable - So the shoes are in, springs holding them together, etc.
Then I pushed the actuator arm in using a flathead screwdriver (pushing the shoes out, stretching the springs.) and put a thin screwdriver through the holes in the actuator to hold the arm out (resisting the springs.).
Theen I used a thin o-ring hook puller to reach in through the actuator, hook the cable, and pull it through the actuator, under the arm.
Then I just pushed the cable up off the hook (using the flathead.) and it snapped over the actuator arm.
Old 22-10-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briteway View Post
How did this happen? How did they shatter or get unbonded? Well... ... when I was four wheeling, out of excitement, I forgot to release the hand brake... ... only realised it when I was gonna park the Jeep again .

Shit happens!
Mine became unbonded as well and I never put the handbrake on so don't drive with it on. I gather that this is a fairly common fault with the factory bonding and it gives out over time. Mine got caught on passanger side hub and took out the sensors and snapped the cable. I had to replace the hub and everything else. When I checked the other side they just fell out in my hand.
Old 23-07-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sorry to bring up an old thread, great write up and was looking at doing the same but to hit a small wall, bendix shows theirs two different ones that BOTH fit on my GC just wondering which size would work on the 17" CRD GC?

205x28mm
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/be...hoe-set-bs5254

205x32mm
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/part/be...hoe-set-bs5263
Old 23-07-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 838 Times in 469 Posts

Hi Briteway why did you go to Rock Auto when you can get the pb shoes cheaper in Aust? The Bendix online catalog only shows BS5254 for the 3 l diesel parking brake shoes.

Last edited by bjm; 23-07-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 23-07-2019
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

BS5263 are for WK2, current GC.
I always check that the part also fits a Commander because if it doesn't then it most likely won't fit a WH
Old 23-07-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Smile

Good write up

But, I clicked on the thread because I thought it was titled 'WH & XH Parking Brake Placement'

My missus has short little arms and has to reach waaaaaay over there for it