KJ lifts and what to expect - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-01-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default KJ lifts and what to expect

If you are a newbie reading this forum, thinking about lifting your KJ - here are a few things I've learned while researching and having a lift fitted to my Diesel 05 KJ:-

1) Manufacturers of spring lifts quote their lift figures based on the platform they used to engineer the lift - either a pre-lowered 02 model or a lowered 03 (3/4inch lower). Jeep lowered the 03's 20mm in response to a Magazine tester that rolled a KJ while pushing it HARD through a witches hat course. They seem to be creeping up again in height though now.....read on and you will see.

2) No one can give a measurement that tells you what height each of these base platforms actually sits stock (as far as I can see).

3) Wheel arch to lower rim (using stock 16inch rims) is a common measurement to use as a reference but so far very few people and no manufactuers quote these measurements either stock or after their lifts

4) Your car may sit lower or higher relative to the base platforms when it is straight from the factory (there's 10 or more different springs used in KJ's)

5) If fitting a SPRING lift (replacing stock springs) - the lift you end up with on the front may not be the full amount quoted by the manufactuer or it may be more, you will get the quoted lift relative to the KJ the manufacturer tested on, which may have been lower or higher than yours. So don't automatically assume your car will be lifted 2.5inches if you fit a 2.5inch lift!

6) If fitting a SPACER lift with your current springs, then you will get the quoted lift of the manufacturer within 10mm generally, as you are just adding to what you already have.

7) Ask people posting about their spring lifts what their final arch to lower rim measurements (with 16 inch wheels) are - as these are the most useful way of comparing where your car will sit once lifted with the same spring lift they used

8.) From the reasearch I've done, a lowered 03 sits around 680mm at the arch to rim measurement stock, and a pre-lowered closer to 700mm, and a lifted KJ shouldn't exceed 750mm otherwise CV problems could occur. My CRD sat at 710mm stock (above the pre-lowered height).

9) One of the best spring lifts for PETROL KJ's that gives a reasonable lift within safe limits seems to be the OME spring lift with 927's on the front and 947's or 948's on the rear. This should net 740mm front and 750mm rear measurements after the lift with OME struts, 10mm less on the front if you use Rancho struts, as the clevis mounting point is at a different spot than on the OME's. Given this, I reckon the OME's are probably best used if you are doing an OME spring lift. The mounting point on the Rancho's is the same as on the stock struts. These measurements are with an ARB bar.

10) The best lift for the current 2.8L diesel at the moment (especially if you fit an ARB bar), because of its extra weight is to use the original front springs, plus either the Daystar 1.5inch (Part Number KJ09119) or 2.5 inch (Part Number KJ09117) spacer lift on the front (use the one that is going to give you around 740mm after lift compared to your car stock with your springs). eg. My KJ was 710mm stock and I'm fitting the 1.5inch kit next week which should bring it up to 740mm.

11) On the rear use OME 947 or 948 springs (edit - I'd recommend 948 only if you are towing a boat or caravan regularly, because the 947's are plenty stiff enough for use without a trailer even when fully loaded, they work fine on mine). Its recommended that you change the front struts to Rancho or OME when you add the spacer lift, as the stock struts don't have as much travel and could 'top out' and destroy themselves when at full extension. Rancho make the RSX17505 and RSX17004 that fit a lifted KJ. The RSX17004 is a longer shock for the rear than anything else available on the market (50mm longer than stock - its for a Dodge SUV available in the USA), and is recommended for max travel on the rear of the KJ. Rancho shocks are less expensive than the OME's. The RSX17505's are available in Australia, but you will need to get the RSX17004's freighted in from the USA - but they are still cheaper than the OME's even with the freight! James at JeepersandCreepers.com can supply them.

12) If you use OME springs on the front of a diesel (927 is the only one nearly heavy enough for the front), then expect 20mm less lift than the same spring on a petrol model because of the extra weight of the diesel engine, and a spongy ride! (The OME spring really isn't suitable for the 2.8CRD's, especially if you fit an ARB bar (mine sagged back to the stock height without the ARB bar after a week) - maybe ok for the earlier 2.5CRD - Suburban run them on their 2.5L Diesel KJ).

13) OME (Old Man Emu) is available from ARB stockists, Daystar spacers are available from James at http://www.jeepersandcreepers.com or james@jeepersandcreepers.com (USA based - fast, cheap freight) the Daystar web site is here so you can get part numbers - http://www.daystarproducts.com/html/...kits/index.htm

14) Rocky Road http://www.rocky-road.com also can supply Daystar spacers and have their own strut top plates that provide about 20mm of lift if you need that bit more! Rusty's off road http://www.rustysoffroad.com also have some strut top plates that should give about 1/2 an inch more lift, but some guys on the USA forums have reported fitment problems as the holes didn't line up perfectly - nothing that a bigger drill wouldn't fix though. James at JeepersandCreepers can supply these too.

16) If you lift your car over 3 inches then expect that you may get some driveline vibration (not to mention damaged CV joints on the front at some point and ball joint problems). The fix for the driveline vibration is to lower the transfer case by putting shims under the mount points. USA4x4 in Melbourne has done this for one KJ owner I believe.

17) After having tried both the OME and Rancho front Struts on my 2.8CRD - I can say the OME struts work much better with the heavy weight of the CRD. If you use the Ranchos you will find you can bottom out the front suspension fairly easily because they don't control the compression of the spring as well. The Ranchos would be ok on a Petrol KJ though - as they are a lot less weighty in the front end! This is backed up by the Liberty owners in the USA - they use a lot of Rancho over there.

18.) At the present time, the rear shocks by Rancho (RSX17004) are the only longer option available that will allow the suspension utilise the maximum spring extension it has available. The standard OME ones are only slightly longer than the stock ones. However, CRDSTU has been testing an OME shock from another model of vehicle that are longer than the Ranchos and all reports so far have been good. Information is going to be released soon about these or PM CRD STU.

19) Its been a few months since I posted this and other guys have tried some combos. I believe this combination to give a good lift (at least 2 inches), well within suspension limits without the need to shim the tranny case:-

Front

Diesel 2.8L CRD without Bar - OME HD STRUT, Custom "CRDSTU" King Springs

Diesel 2.8L CRD with ARB Bar - OME HD Strut, Stock Springs, Daystar 1.5 inch Spacer, Rocky Road Strut top plate

OR

Diesel 2.8L CRD with ARB Bar - OME HD Strut, Custome "CRDSTU" King Springs, Rocky Road Strut top plate

Petrol with/without ARB Bar - OME or Rancho Strut, OME Springs (choose the correct one)

Rear

All - Rancho RSX 17004 Shocks or new N132L OME Shock with ARB springs MD or HD Springs - use HD if towing. You can also add a 10mm TJ rear spring spacer to give a little extra lift. Use the Daystar 35mm rear bumpstops with the N132L springs.

*Update 19/12/06* CRDSTU has worked with King Springs in QLD to produce a front spring specific for the CRD KJ that will give at least two inches of lift. Check out the information in the other sticky thread - this is probably the best front spring for the CRD KJ now as you don't need to use a Daystar spacer, although, my set-up is still working really well on and off-road.

*Update 26/03/07* OME now have N132L (L for Long) rear shocks for the KJ that are about 1.5 inches longer than there original N132 rear shocks for the KJ. Should be available in Australia by April 2007. You need to install a Daystar rear bump stop with these shocks to prevent them over compressing. OME are also working on a new 500lb front spring for the CRD KJ which is soon to be released. These will be heavier than the 465lb spring CRDSTU had custom made by Kings Springs in the paragraph above. As yet the OME ones are untested as no one has them yet.

Hope this info helps save some of you the pain I went through! Oh yeah - the KJ Cherokee is called a 'Liberty' in the USA!

Last edited by Wilmo; 26-03-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Added some info 4/06/06
Old 01-02-2006
Silver Rennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks like you put in alot of work on this one wilmo. Congrats.
Old 01-02-2006
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks mate, if it saves someone the hassle I went through trying to decifer all the info on the various forums, then great!

Everyone/Anyone please PM me if you have any questions re my comments in the post above - happy to assist.
Old 29-05-2006
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice bit of research there! I have recently changed from a 99XJ to a 05KJ (LTD) and it is like going from a boat to a real car! I am planning on putting a lift on this but don't want to go back to the boat type handleing. Will see how l go. (have to get it past the other half too)
Also go to try and get some smaller mud flaps on the back, they are huge and scrape going over gutters!
Old 30-05-2006
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Wilmo,

I'm new to all this 4WD'ing and to help protect my new baby I just did the 2" OME lift on my 06KJ Renegade (Petrol) last week, based on what I've picked up from previous threads.

The measurements were as follows (standard front bumper):

___front_______front______front
683mm 682mm 755mm 753mm 72mm 71mm

689mm 695mm 755mm 755mm 66mm 60mm
BEFORE......AFTER.......DIFFERENCE

Before they submit the warranty form, I was told to do 500km then bring it back in for a check. This allows it to settle down to its final height.

Checking the boxes (with all my old bits) I have 948's on the rear and 927's on the front.

The ARB stockist quoted lifts of 30mm front and 30-40mm rear.

So, it will interesting how much it will settle after 500km. I've got a trip to the high country planned for the Queens Birthday weekend, so that should give it a good workout.

I'm also getting the set of 3 skid plates fitted today during its first service.

Stephen

Last edited by stephenmeddings; 30-05-2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 30-05-2006
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm also getting the set of 3 skid plates fitted today during its first service.

Stephen[/QUOTE]

Hi Stephen,
I'm also considering the 3 skids from jeep + transmission skid...Would be interested to know the price they charge.
Also I have just picked up a copy of the genuine accessory guide for 2006 jeep cherokee and notice they have an 'offroad pack' available including: All skids, tail light gaurds, side rails, and roof basket...anyone got any idea how much$ ?
Old 30-05-2006
LOST

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

well by themselves the trans skids are about $120.00 un fitted the front suspension is about the same, the transfer case is about 90.00 FYI the fuel tank skid is a hell of a lot