Warranty issues with Chimebusters? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Warranty issues with Chimebusters?

Hey guys, got my Chimebusters in the mail a few weeks ago & hope to fit it in a few days when I get a chance to be rid of the door chime for good (installation instructions are very good with colour pics, so looks a fairly easy job). Just a question to any of you in the know; will fitting the Chimebusters module affect my warranty with Chrysler.

I know, as it's been raised here before, that fitting an aftermarket product will only affect the warranty if it can be proven to have directly caused the fault. I'm just wondering if I have an electrical issue somewhere down the track (and lets face it, modern vehicles including the JK are basically computers on wheels with lots of electrical stuff to go wrong) if they could point to the little black box next to the fuse box with it's wires spliced onto the connectors & say "bad luck; that caused your computer/esp sensor/tail light to fail).

I know many of you put your stock wheels, etc back on before taking the Jeep in for warranty work so they can't point to the mods & blame them for the fault, but even if I removed the chimebusters box evidence of it on the wiring harnesses would remain and be hard to hide.
Old 03-08-2010
DetroitDemon

Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

if the chimebuster doesnt directly affect the potential warranty issue then you wont have an issue with warranty. If the chime buster for example affected other electrics then they could reject your claim if they beleive that was the cause of it
Old 03-08-2010
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

As i understand vehicle warranty - a modification has to have relevance to the fault - it is an unfortunate dealer tactic to blame a failed engine on a non stock floormat

So if you make a buthers job of the fit and then the key in / door open chime doesn't work or the interior light doesn't operate - well you have ceated the problem and have to wear it. Its exactly the same with any electrical mod - driving lights, CB radio, dual batteries, fridge, stereo, compressor etc etc.

I think its a decission we modifiers have to make.... but even on standard vehicles i've heard of bloodyminded dealers being a PITA so i don't think chimebuster makes any difference.

Fit it as specified and IMO a dealer would have VERY difficult time blaming you.
Old 03-08-2010
not just a web wheeler

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I would be very,very surprised. Jeep dealers have bought some for their customers vehicles too.
Old 03-08-2010
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by double black offroad View Post
I would be very,very surprised. Jeep dealers have bought some for their customers vehicles too.
Well i think that says it all.......
Old 04-08-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys!

I have absolutely no worries about the Chimebuster module causing any problems, just more concerned that it could be used as an excuse by Chrysler to deny a claim should I have any more issues with the electrical system (I've already had the ABS motor & module replaced under warranty and an issue with the wiring for the sound system rectified, an expensive exercise if I had to pay for it all myself) .

I've read on the US forums where people have had factory Mopar lift kits fitted by the dealer to the brand new vehicle before taking delivery, only then to have Chrysler deny warranty claims and red-flag the vehicle's VIN in their system as "no warranty" because the vehicle is modded, even though the work was done by a Chrysler dealer using approved Mopar parts before the Jeep even left the dealer's forecourt.

Then again I have a pretty good dealer so I suppose I'm worried over nothing, it's just that I had to pay an auto electrician a small fortune to troubleshoot and track down a problem on my other vehicle (turned out to be a loose connection on a relay), which has a far simpler electrical system than the JK.
Old 04-08-2010
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All, does the chimebuster also work for the nagging "change oil" thingy that is driving me up the wall? (I had the jeep serviced before the due mileage)...Or should I just blast it with my shotgun???