Buying a WJ-WG Grand Cherokee Tips on common issues!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 19-10-2007
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Exclamation Buying a WJ-WG Grand Cherokee Tips on common issues!!

This Question comes up quite often so i have taken it apon my self to give you my knowledge on the subject. ( Please excuse any spelling errors )

Lets start with the models.

WJ
99- 2002

Some will dispute this however from my 4 years with working with D.C these model years are what was knowen as WJ. I won't list what came out in the years as Redbook or Glasses can inform you of this.

WJ Laredo -- 99 6 cyl I6

Common faults, Speakers crackling and Blowing - due to the amp under the rear seats the two top tweaters (splits) blew, usually after 2-3 years or around the 80,000km + mark-

Cost to fix Genuine $180/ speaker + Fitting.. (easy Job to DIY )
You can put any split/tweater you like that fits and you get a better sound plus save some cash.

Bonnet Struts-- Pretty small issue, cost about $100 bucks for exchange ones!

Fuel Tank O- Ring -- Very common on the V8's, causes the car to not run and or makes starting hard. The o- ring drys up and creats a leak , Cost can Vary heaps on this but you should find someone to do it for around the $400 mark or less!

Brake Rotors-

Front Disc Rotors warp, This can be minimised or prevented with driving habits however there was a upgraded Caliper that got fitted in late 2001 - 2002
The General reason they warp is Big heavy car and people driving them like a sdn, and also relativley small Rotors and calipers.

Also when the breaks are steaming hot, people love Plowing through Puddles..... Big no no. !!!

Cost around $550 for Front Breaks - Rears tend to wear quite well on these So to save $$ running cheaper pads and rotors on the back is ok.

WJ Ltd -

Heated seats stop working-

around the 2- 3 year mark as well the heaters fail. Cost approx $350/ seat

Heater stops working..-

Around the 70,000km - 100,000kms or 4 year mark we saw almost every single LTD with the heater not working. Usually this is caused by the Blendoor. As the LTD have dual zone climate control the blendoor (box) has flaps that vary the amount of hot and cold air to create the temp you select. The Arms on this box are very brittle and they break.

This is a dash out Job ( to do it properly, some creative people have managed to get to it with out removing the dash however a lot of cutting and swearing would be involved) It takes approx 8- 10 hrs to remove dash, the part is around $300 then a futher 6-8 hrs to put back together.

Expect a bill somewhere around the $1800 mark.... Some Jeep owners have been quoted up wards Of $3000 That is just pure profit for who ever quoted the Job.

Radiators in V8 ltd-
The 99 WJ V8's were fitted with a mecanical fan, the radiators were knowen to fail and did cause a few of them to crack heads as people were not paying attention to there Gauges. ( search this for more info)

Cost - approx $ 1000 +

CD Stackers -

After the 3 year mark or so ERR was coming up when loading and trying to play CD's in the stackers- Cause, they just plan Sh#T them selfs. Cheapest fix get a flash Deck put in up front, replacement JEEP stacker around $1300 + or a car audio shop had a range to suit usually around the $800 mark

Seats Breaking-

Front seats can break at the mounting point... Fix = new seat mount

Cost $ 1000 + pending where you asked.

Differentals -

This is all down to who looked after the car, Some JEEP owner feel that because they paid $ 70,000 or more for there JEEP that when the Mechanic suggested a diff oil change it was scoffed at!

Noisey diffs at around 80km/hr and upward.

Cost to replace Approx $ 1000 Pending on parts need ect. ( When test driving the Grand your thinking of buying a freeway run is suggested) Put Jeep into "N" @ 100 and listen for a wo wo wo sound, allow for tyre noise too as All terrains or Hard Old tyres can cause a similar sound to the un- trainied ear.

Windows-

This will happen when its raining Window Regulator have failed (this is common on many moddern cars not just Jeeps) and its always at the worst time, Usually the Fronts will go.

Cost can be around the $900 mark.

Front Cv axel shafts -

Often the front will leak, usually just 1 . If this does occure replacing them both is advised as when doing one the other slips straight out and for the labour cost you would be kicking yourself if you did 1 then 2 months later the other leaks. Cost Approx $1200 or less.

Leather wraped steering wheel-

These can move and become worn and loss, there are some places that inject a hard Gel into the wheel which gives it a firmer feeling again however if mine ever does it i will just get it re- trimmed

If anyone wants to add to this please P.M me and i would be more then happy to add to this Helpful thread, the sole idea of this is so newbies can refer to this and get a wealth of info insteed of having to search random threads or start a newbie Question thread.

Models-

Most will know what a LTD is and a Laredo and an Overland ---( No 'S')

The WJ went from 99- 2001

2002 saw the update model of the WG Grand

The WG (aust. only America still called the WJ's )
Stared in 2001 - through to 2005

2002 had a revised intirior, The rear seats all have head rest and they automatically fold when the leaver is pulled. They also had side curtain air-bags in all models and White indiglow Dash Dials with Black needles. (not Orange that was last of WJ )

The WG's also have CD player as standard on all models and a audio controls behind the steering wheel.

New paint Jobs were released and the OVERLAND model was released, with a High out-put 4.7lt V8

Overland had Quadra-Drive Standard as well as sunroof and wood steering wheel.

Priced at $69,990 it was JEEP's Flag ship

As a Guide for newbies this should cover most of the General- common fault s questions and what Model im i looking at.??

In reguard to what the best model is...... None, they all serve a differnt perpouse and all hold there own as One of the Best 4x4s ever made!!!!!!

Prices over time will change, the approx prices are just a guide to follow for your assistance

Last edited by hemijeepy; 01-09-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 19-10-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

brake rotors have a tendency to warp, i really don't know anything about this issue though - hemi?
Diff seals seem to leak too
Old 19-10-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikemat View Post
brake rotors have a tendency to warp, i really don't know anything about this issue though - hemi?
Diff seals seem to leak too
Ahh yes forgot that one, Thanks mate

If you got any i forgot, please P.M me so we can Sticky this and have all the Problems in 1 page to read. Remember this is for newbies and is only GENERAL advice, if there is something on here that conserns you or want more info on, Ask the specific questions and help will arrive.

This is just a Summary of frequent items that come up every month or so.

Thanks Folks
Cam

Last edited by hemijeepy; 19-10-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 19-10-2007
AJOR Bronze

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Lets keep the chit chat off this thread, P.M me or start a new thread is cool. I wanna keep this a 1 page thread for the Newbies ect,

Thanks

Last edited by hemijeepy; 19-10-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 30-09-2016
Jedi Master

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 919 Times in 625 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Here's from Rodgebone's thread

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ight=Rodgebone
Post New Thread  Closed Thread