New JL ANCAP rating...........according to the sales bloke. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New JL ANCAP rating...........according to the sales bloke.

So I went and looked at a new JL rubicon today. After a hefty chat with the salesman I have decided to leave my JEEP obsession behind me. Near 80K for a rubicon is utter madness. Bought a second hand 76 series instead.

To the point. The during the chat, in an effort to steer me back to jeep
the salesman said that the ANCAP rating for the wrangler is being revised. Apparently with the AEB fitted and a new plastic bumper, the rubicon will be getting an ANCAP 5. Apparently the steel bumper is the main issue. No idea if this is true, just repeating what old mate said. Came straight from FCA apparently.
Old 04-10-2019
Established Member

Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

I had heard that the main issue was the structural integrity of the cabin around the A pillar and firewall. I don't think AEB will make much difference somehow.

Rod.
Old 04-10-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Harrison View Post
I had heard that the main issue was the structural integrity of the cabin around the A pillar and firewall. I don't think AEB will make much difference somehow.

Rod.
All this and more. Occupant and pedestrian injury risk etc etc etc. also added to the mix. Yeah, my obsession for a JL Rubicon ute might disappear soon also. $80000 can buy a whole lot of Toyota, with all the Jeep dramas, reliability, rip off dealers etc Might even go the hog and buy a Landrover Discovery....
Old 04-10-2019

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
All this and more. Occupant and pedestrian injury risk etc etc etc. also added to the mix. Yeah, my obsession for a JL Rubicon ute might disappear soon also. $80000 can buy a whole lot of Toyota, with all the Jeep dramas, reliability, rip off dealers etc Might even go the hog and buy a Landrover Discovery....
I feel the same about Jeep. I’ve traded mine for another brand - I like the vehicles but after the last 5 years I’d rather shoot myself in the face than sign up for another round of Jeep/FCA’s crap.

Knowing it will no longer be my problem this time tomorrow brings a great sense of relief!
Old 04-10-2019
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JL
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Really hate the Sales BS. The Euro spec vehicles don't get the steel bumper. How could that be an issue for NCAP. And ANCAP only copied the NCAP results.

Sounds more like the rep was clutching at straws to try and keep your business.

There was a test in the US the other day where the preliminary results for NHTSA tests looked like it was going to be 4 stars. The test criteria is different.

Last edited by Rubi D; 04-10-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2019
I just registered

Liked 53 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The problem with 70 series Cruisers is you have to sort out the rear axle issue then you have to make sure you have a secondary fuel filter, no decent stereo or sat nav, uncomfortable seats, no flex at the rear, interior dating back to the seventies or eighties.

I can't comment on the 70 series reliability but I can on the 200 series as i owned one for four years and it was the most unreliable four wheel drive I've ever had which is why I thought what the heck I'll try a Jeep. My Rubi has been the most reliable four wheel drive after 5 years.
Old 11-10-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

"I can't comment on the 70 series reliability but I can on the 200 series as i owned one for four years and it was the most unreliable four wheel drive I've ever had which is why I thought what the heck I'll try a Jeep. My Rubi has been the most reliable four wheel drive after 5 years."

I must say that my JKU Rubi 07 is now 12 yrs old. Apart from usual wear and tear and maintenance things, it has proven very reliable, impressively so in fact!!! I don't thrash it to the point of breaking but it has had a good workout on many a corrugated track, pulling a camper trailer or a van from time to time.

I have done the usual replacement things (clutch x 3, shocks, springs, underbody suspension bushes, front wheel bearings, brakes, steering dampener etc etc) but only because they wore out after a great deal of work and because I want reliability when outback on my own. Pre-emptive maintenance works a treat!!

Planning a trip to Arnhem land for next yr and the Telfer/Wapet track and Connie Sue.

I would buy another one but for the price of the current replacement. I am thinking that I will keep this until it dies (or I do) and just keep replacing the things that break or wear out. There is many a very old 4WD on our roads and I think the is the path I will take.
Post New Thread  Reply