Banning lifts with stability control - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Hot Topic of week
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Politicians & common sense? That's an uncommon occurrence Clarky. I've had to meet & speak to a few over the years, never came across one I liked. First impression of all of them was hand shake like holding a dead fish, totally untrustworthy & don't let him get behind you. I'm sure there must be good ones, but it's probably easier to find a unicorn. While I'm on the soapbox, the present debacle with politicians & dual citizenship. If these people are in the job under false pretences, shouldn't they be prosecuted & lose all benefits obtained or likely to be received because of these false pretences? Sorry for the rant Clarky, every time I see these idiots come up with another dumb idea That will have a huge negative effect on a very large number of people & no positive effect on anybody it lights my fuse.
Old 08-11-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Too bad, really a miserable step by the Gov.
Old 27-11-2017
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Maybe common sense will prevail.
Quote from the Australian Automotive Aftermarket Association
I'm not a youtube guru, but when I view it there are only 872 views and just a few likes
Old 28-11-2017
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 191 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren0vator View Post
Major party sponsorship from Company X
Results in laws to circumvent Company Y's product
Yet they hide behind bureaucratic nonsense
This is so true and is why companies should not be allowed to make political donations. For the donations that are made the person who made them should be made visible and easily searchable to the public. We need to fix the political donations in this country before we go and start making major changes to laws.
Old 06-09-2018
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

So fvking the Australian car manufacturing wasn't enough, now they are going to kill the aftermarket industry as well.
Vote liberal.
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 06-09-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Qld is currently chasing modified 4wd's

Best to make sure your 4wd is within the legal specs. Some reasonable info from member at 4x4earth:

The following information provides some general guidance about raising a vehicle’s height
Without ESC-
A vehicle lift up to and including 75mm combining both suspension lift and tyre diameter increase (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm) is acceptable under self-certification.
A vehicle lift between 76mm and 125mm inclusive, combining a suspension lift, a tyre diameter increase and a body lift (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm, maximum body lift 50mm) requires certification and testing by an Approved Person.
With ESC-
A suspension lift up to and including 50mm is acceptable under self-certification. A vehicle lift over 50 mm or due to a combination of any other lift (tyres, or body blocks) requires certification and testing by an Approved Person.
Please Note: The above mentioned maximum tyre diameter tyre increase is for 4WD off-road vehicles. A passenger car or passenger car derivatives must not increase their tyre diameter by more than 15mm.

https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php...8/#post-595420

Of course, even if your 4wd is legal, the cops can send it in and having it checked.
Old 08-09-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Disclaimer: I'm a mechanic, not a lawyer!!!
I offer this as general advice to my friends on this forum.
Consult your relevant state authorities for legal advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photojeep View Post
Qld is currently chasing modified 4wd's

Best to make sure your 4wd is within the legal specs. Some reasonable info from member at 4x4earth:

The following information provides some general guidance about raising a vehicle’s height
Without ESC-
A vehicle lift up to and including 75mm combining both suspension lift and tyre diameter increase (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm) is acceptable under self-certification.
A vehicle lift between 76mm and 125mm inclusive, combining a suspension lift, a tyre diameter increase and a body lift (maximum suspension lift 50mm, maximum tyre diameter increase 50mm, maximum body lift 50mm) requires certification and testing by an Approved Person.
With ESC-
A suspension lift up to and including 50mm is acceptable under self-certification. A vehicle lift over 50 mm or due to a combination of any other lift (tyres, or body blocks) requires certification and testing by an Approved Person.
Please Note: The above mentioned maximum tyre diameter tyre increase is for 4WD off-road vehicles. A passenger car or passenger car derivatives must not increase their tyre diameter by more than 15mm.

https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php...8/#post-595420
General guidance is great, if you want the in's and out's read on ...

Australia Design Rules (ADR's) are enforceable by State Registration Authorities.
As this thread started with Electronic Stability Controls (ESC) we are referring to ADR 88/00.
A guide to modifications is titled National Code of Practice. (NCOP)
In Qld the guide to modifying our vehicles comes under Vehicle Standards Bulletins. (VSB)
VSB's are also enforceable by state authorities.
I have just downloaded VSB14 on 08/09/2018 to ensure I was reading the current rules.
The timestamp indicates VSB14 has not been modified since November 2015.
This is obviously a crock of shit because ADR 88/00 was enacted 25th August 2017,
by the Minister for Urban Infrastructure = Paul Fletcher

Just to highlight the insanity of all this, ADR 88/00 complies with;
United Nations paragraph 7.7 of UN R 140/00, and Annexes 3 to 5 of UN R 140/00.
Yes folks, it goes all the way to the UN

When any modification is made to a vehicle with ESC,
it needs to be re-evaluated, under specific conditions,
as laid out in ADR 88/00. Read it at your peril.
Example:
"7.3. The lateral displacement of the vehicle centre of gravity with respect to
its initial straight path shall be at least 1.83 m for vehicles with a GVM of
3,500 kg or less, and 1.52 m for vehicles with a maximum mass greater than
3,500 kg when computed 1.07 seconds after the Beginning of Steer (BOS).
BOS is defined in paragraph 9.11.6."

Back to our issue.
photojeep's quote is correct for Australia, not just Qld.
Any vehicle with ESC can only be raised 50mm under NCOP.
It does not matter where this 50mm comes from.
It can be a combination of either; suspension, tyres, or body lift.
A lift of between 50 to 150mm needs to be certified by an authorised person under LS7 of the NCOP.
And the only people who can certify according to LS7 are the Original Manufacturers or
engineers with a ton of software and sensors who can test according to ADR 88/00.
And perform tests as required in Example 7.3 above.

None of this was an issue until 25th August 2017 !!
So the general rule of thumb about three inches of lift only applies to vehicles without ESC.

What this means to me is my lift kit and tyre size mods will need to be reassessed due to the stroke of a pen.
All because some bureaucrat in Canberra hates modified vehicles

Last edited by ren0vator; 08-09-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Post New Thread  Reply