Moving from commuter to 4wding. Keep the Jeep or move on? - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCDingo View Post

I love our GC but I will be looking for an old GQ to bash around with the family so there is no worry if I smash a panel. Still can't do the wrangler thing even though I know how capable they are. I am a patrol man.
I don't know what the go is with Patrols, you get some that are big tyres, lifted, locked yet can't go where my Wrangler goes and other ones which just go anywhere you can point them.

I assume the later have significant suspension geometry upgrades.
Old 05-02-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
The JLU Wrangler is looking better as a daily driver compared to the JKU, I reckon that would be a good fit, but as others have said if you want something you don't mind getting dinged then get an older jap 4by.

Your current GC will be QT2, so the lack of rear elsd is going to slow it down a bit, and even with a lift on it, you are going to be lifting a wheel quite a bit. I'm quite happy with my limited diesel with QD2 and bash plates/sliders. But most of my driving is sand, it gets pretty rough on deep rutted tracks.

Watch the toyotas with the 2.8 diesel turbo, they have been having lots of DPF and air filter dramas.
for the price of a JL you can almost buy an overland gc . I know which i would get :P

As for the OP i drive my daily and punish it on weekends . just be careful where you put the car and you should get away with panel damage . I have a couple of very small dings that only i know it's there.

Is your limited air or coils ?

Best upgrade for the gc is a murchison lift if you don't have air. Then get the mopar underbdy set and fill in the gaps with chief products . I've taken my gc on some knarly tracks. No rear elsd on mine and i have no issues .

i think the gc benefits from the lift not just from body lift but also ride comfort as well

you wouldn't find me in a hilux or ranger or any other POS gutless ute .

to prove to yourself where the car can go, take it on the big boy tracks that the hilux goes on and with the right driving i can guarantee you it will go anywhere the hilux goes .

in 140000km on my 14 limited i have not broken anything yet . i've bottomed out, bounced off my rock sliders, hit so much shit underneath and it's been rock solid

Last edited by timsarg; 05-02-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-02-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 436 Times in 264 Posts

Regarding steel suspension (with or without lift), you won't be lifting wheels any more than a GC with QL on OR1 or OR2 will. But you will have a quieter and comfier ride doing it.
Old 05-02-2019
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
for the price of a JL you can almost buy an overland gc . I know which i would get :P
Yeah, but a JL will leave the overland behind as the going gets tougher. And that air suspension gets a bit old after a few hours of clunking up a rough track. Depends on what you're doing. But the JL seems to (on the basis of reviews) be a lot more comfortable on the road than the JK.
Old 05-02-2019

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
The JLU Wrangler is looking better as a daily driver compared to the JKU, I reckon that would be a good fit, but as others have said if you want something you don't mind getting dinged then get an older jap 4by.

Your current GC will be QT2, so the lack of rear elsd is going to slow it down a bit, and even with a lift on it, you are going to be lifting a wheel quite a bit. I'm quite happy with my limited diesel with QD2 and bash plates/sliders. But most of my driving is sand, it gets pretty rough on deep rutted tracks.

Watch the toyotas with the 2.8 diesel turbo, they have been having lots of DPF and air filter dramas.
Thanks Benn0.

I'll have a look at the Wranglers, never been in one but damn some of them look awesome. I'm not super worried about damage, I don't plan on getting crazy, just want to be able to get to the camping spots my mates get to.

How many k's have you got on you GC? Had any issues at all?
Old 05-02-2019

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post

As for the OP i drive my daily and punish it on weekends . just be careful where you put the car and you should get away with panel damage . I have a couple of very small dings that only i know it's there.

Is your limited air or coils ?

Best upgrade for the gc is a murchison lift if you don't have air. Then get the mopar underbdy set and fill in the gaps with chief products . I've taken my gc on some knarly tracks. No rear elsd on mine and i have no issues .

i think the gc benefits from the lift not just from body lift but also ride comfort as well

you wouldn't find me in a hilux or ranger or any other POS gutless ute .

to prove to yourself where the car can go, take it on the big boy tracks that the hilux goes on and with the right driving i can guarantee you it will go anywhere the hilux goes .

in 140000km on my 14 limited i have not broken anything yet . i've bottomed out, bounced off my rock sliders, hit so much shit underneath and it's been rock solid
Thanks timsarg.

What mods have you done to you GC for offroading, other than the rock sliders?

My limited is coils I believe, i thought the air was only available on the overland, or is it an option on the limited? Either way, no air kit for me.
Old 05-02-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjws View Post
Thanks timsarg.

What mods have you done to you GC for offroading, other than the rock sliders?

My limited is coils I believe, i thought the air was only available on the overland, or is it an option on the limited? Either way, no air kit for me.
just the usual wk2 mods . murchison lift all round ,mopar bash plates and chief bash plates , uneek rock sliders

you could option 14 limited with off road pack which gave you air and elsd
Post New Thread  Reply