XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 68 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-08-2017
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Pirtek or Enzed
Old 24-08-2017
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 86 Times in 64 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnick View Post
Pirtek or Enzed
Cheers, pity they're all so far away.. I'll have to get down there lol.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk
Old 28-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

59 pages, and no son-of -gun has fitted a temp sender into the special port in the trans ?

by removing the T55 Torx plug adjacent to the lower filler tube & NSS,
one can install a male M14 x 1.5 adaptor into the port, female sender port is 1/8" NPT, $5 from China

this is the high pressure port to allow for measurement of trans fluid pressure, (pictured) ,so i would assume it is direct from the pump, so probably would be hotter than pan or cooler line.

(It so happens this is the same thread as the cooler ports, so once could replace them as well if one wished to)

(note the pic doesnt show the trans sender or adaptor, but thats where it goes)

At first, I thought it wasnt working, as a few mins idle in my drive did not budge from 40C, next day, it took 5minutes driving to move, and climbed to 80C after 30minutes

Ambient temp was 30C @ 80% humidity

It was left to idle for 30mins and stabilised at 85C, with engine cycling 100-105

after 90min, on a long hard uphill, in D, with torque convertor not engaged (60kmph), it touched 95C, hotter than the engine

cooled back to 80 with normal use

I have a 12 x 8 x 3/4 tube & fin trans cooler

On the trip to my property, the last 30mins is hard uphill, after a 1hr trip, trans gets worked hard, that is when mine gave up the ghost

Although it did not smell burnt, if anything would heat a trans, that would. I would prefer to stop and give my trans a rest if temps exceed 100C, or find some way to stop this happening

Speaking to some hard core off-road XJ guys, they went thru a few AW4. I suspect they got cooked

A gauge is the 1st step

its very difficult to fit in situ. The T55 is blue loctite, I got it undone with the box out

Last edited by awg; 28-12-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 28-12-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts

You can tell by the clouds of smoke out the back when you accelerate, if its hot.
Drips onto the exhaust from the filler tube.