Idrive throttle controller - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2017
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts
Default Idrive throttle controller

Hey all,
just thought I'd share my experience with one of these.
I have noticed since I drove my first diesel auto car (Ford Territory) the terrible throttle response from take off and on low speed on/off driving (over speed humps for example). I have had it in my Jeep since day 1 but have managed to get used to it and drive around the so-called "problem".
Numerous threads on numerous sites over the years all seem to refer to it as turbo lag, which it isn't.
Anyway, I had a chip and exhaust fitted to try and overcome this (which it did to a certain degree) but it was still there. After my son turned 16 and started learning to drive in it and him complaining about how hard it is to keep and maintain throttle control on low speed hills, coming out of carparks etc. (he is a learner and doesn't have the fine motor skills yet of gentle throttle control, but he's getting there...............but I digress...) I investigated some of these new electronic throttle control modules. I read a few articles, watched some youtube videos etc and kept coming back to
https://idriveaustralia.com.au/

Anyway, long story short, purchased and fitted one and the transformation has been incredible to say the least. I have very precise throttle control now and that is all changable by the unit, from lightning fast in U9 to very rubbery in E1 for offroad control when bouncing around.
Do yourself a favour and if this is a concern for you at all try one of these, you won't be disappointed.

...and no, I have no affiliation with them, just extremely happy with their product....
CSA Raptors
Old 12-11-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 293 Times in 185 Posts

Hi Matt,

What setting do you run yours on? I have run one in my Amarok for the last 4 years to try and fix a similar where the gearbox can't work out whether it wants to be in 2nd or 1st rolling up to a stop sign. Put your boot into it to go through and the car just doesn't know what to do and kind of coasts. kinda dangerous in some situations. It hasn't cured the issue either. I run that on U3 mostly.

The e settings are great for bouncy offroad work but I personally don't think they do much to fix the issue you speak of. It is just the same as putting your foot down a bit further depending on what setting you are on. Basically they just tell the ECU the throttle is further down than it actually is or in the case of e modes tells it the opposite. Say your thottle is 10% depressed, the idrive will tell the ECU it's at 30% or 40% etc depending on setting. You can test this by just accelerating slowly in U1. Keep you foot in the same spot and change the setting up 1 by 1 to 9 and the car will keep accelerating to a point. Does that make sense?

I think they are a bit of a gimmick personally but as said have had it for 4 years in my work car and haven't removed it. I have just found U3 is the setting I like it at best.
Old 12-11-2017
Established Member

Liked 28 Times in 24 Posts

After initial fitment I was playing around with it driving it on U4 all the way up to U9. I loved U9 but for everyday stop/start it's a bit hair triggered for that. U4 was the most comfortable setting I found but for the last week I was towing my 2.3T van so I set it onto AC and I haven't bothered changing it yet.
I haven't actually tried any of the E settings yet and they did tell me that they have had a couple of reports that E1 "may" upset the throttle programming used in rock mode, but as I said, haven't tried it personally and doubt I'll need to in the forseeable future either.
CSA Raptors
Old 22-04-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Sorry to resurect an old thread. Just wondering what those who have been running the idrive unit for a while think of it? Oh and where has everyone mounted the control unit (pictures would be nice)?
Old 21-05-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Anyone?
Old 22-05-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 355 Times in 199 Posts

maybe i need to borrow one and see if these are the miracle device that people say they are as i honestly can't see the need for something that can be dealt with via your right foot and paddles .
Old 22-05-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You really have to experience it, I did on a manual trans car.

With a manual you can’t just mash the throttle like maybe you can with an auto

The idrive I had totally transformed the car.

As best as I can describe it is.

Imagine a a line on a graph representing the throttle opening

Now imagine as you press the throttle the line is not straight but has a downward curve, gees this is hard , so as yo accelerate the curve is gently then increases towards middle rpm,s

So now the controller inverts tah curve so the throttle response is much quicker

Now with a manual trans you cannot just mast the throttle, as you need to be engaging the clutch.

I think I’m digging myself a hole here.

You have to try it.

If you don’t want to spend the $300 plus dollars you can get cheaper ones on Ali baba. They work well and can give you an idea for $100 or less
Post New Thread  Reply