Another Croweater with a Jeep! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-06-2022
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Another Croweater with a Jeep!

Hi there! Charlie here from Adelaide. I was looking for a suitable vehicle to tow our 2 ton camper with ease and while my 4.0L V6 Hilux did it easily, it was too close to the legal GVM limit, so a new tow vehicle was in order. It had to be petrol V8 and auto, so my choice was limited to the WK2 Grand Cherokee or a Y62 Nissan Patrol. The S Limited was on the money because I really didn’t need a 7 seater and the price was some 20K less than the Nissan. Finding one wasn’t so easy, but I managed to pickup one of the last S Limited Hemi’s for sale in Adelaide back in September last year.

To start with I had the windows tinted as dark as possible to go with the Diamond Black Crystal duco and then had a towbar fitted. I then installed a Redarc trailer brake controller and some side steps and mud flaps to help protect the duco. I’ve recently had a set of 2” King springs fitted, which work very well, but on a recent trip to the Northern Territory towing the camper, I have found the limits of the front shocks. So a new set of Dobinson shocks for the front and perhaps some rear airbags may be on the cards.

I’m hoping to get some advice on the Dobinsons and hopefully they are longer than the factory units which may solve the issue. Looking forward to posting some info on this great forum.
www.caernarvontrack.com

Last edited by Chaz; 26-06-2022 at 09:45 PM.
Old 27-06-2022
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Welcome Chaz,

I had a 4L V6 Hilux as a work vehicle and miss the power since I'm now driving a 2.7L Workmate. Mind you, it handles a lot better than the old Hilux. This one doesn't try and kill me every time it rains.

The WK2 is a fantastic tow vehicle, except for the LC 200, nothing comes close. The trouble is, all the 4wd mags always leave it out when towing comparisons are made and for some reason always go with the Prado which is absolutely gutless in comparison.

I'm sure you'll love towing with it. They really are a great long distance tourer.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 27-06-2022
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Welcome Chaz,

I had a 4L V6 Hilux as a work vehicle and miss the power since I'm now driving a 2.7L Workmate. Mind you, it handles a lot better than the old Hilux. This one doesn't try and kill me every time it rains.

The WK2 is a fantastic tow vehicle, except for the LC 200, nothing comes close. The trouble is, all the 4wd mags always leave it out when towing comparisons are made and for some reason always go with the Prado which is absolutely gutless in comparison.

I'm sure you'll love towing with it. They really are a great long distance tourer.
Thanks Jamie,
We’ve been on a couple of trips since acquiring the Jeep last September and the last one to Katherine was a three week event covering around 6,000km. The Jeep has to be the most comfortable car to drive on the open road that I’ve ever had or been in. Another thing that impressed me was the fuel consumption. Prior to my Hilux, I had a GU3 Patrol which was very modified and with the 3.0L Diesel and towing, I did well to achieve 15L/100km. It did lack some power, so after the Nissan diesel engine expired (as they do) I fitted a GM 6.0L petrol V8 which was an absolute beast (around 400hp), but I was lucky to get 22L/100 on a good day and 26L/100km towing. I didn’t mind so much because the power was incredible, even overtaking cars with the camper on the back was a breeze. Even my 4.0L V6 Hilux is only good for around 18L/100km towing our camper, but the Jeep gets 15L/100km and does it so much easier. For that reason alone and the comfort, I’m glad I bought it.

I decided to keep the Hilux after buying the Jeep because it’s my goto rough offroad ute for camping, fishing and hunting and after doing so much to it, I couldn’t part with it, and it helps me to keep the Jeep in good condition.

www.caernarvontrack.com
Old 27-06-2022
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farwest View Post
Awesome mate...good info and a good laugh...must say the first time I drove a hilux I discovered why they were called rolux....first dirt corner 'withdrew' all my years of drag racing 'sideways action' to stay upright....OH WHAT FEELING indeed...cheers
Haha! Well said. Yes they do have their issues. One of the main things I had to do was improve the brakes. The handbrake was useless a week after adjusting it and there was no way you could pull up like a normal car. I ended up putting a disc brake on the back of the transfer and fitted some GQ Patrol rear discs. Now I can even lock it up with ABS! But as you say they do easily get loose in the back, especially with a bit power. Good fun though!
www.caernarvontrack.com
Old 28-06-2022
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
I had a GU3 Patrol which was very modified and with the 3.0L Diesel and towing, I did well to achieve 15L/100km. It did lack some power, so after the Nissan diesel engine expired (as they do) I fitted a GM 6.0L petrol V8 which was an absolute beast (around 400hp), but I was lucky to get 22L/100 on a good day and 26L/100km towing.
After you have been on here for a while, you'll be surprised at how many Jeep owners used to own Patrols. Even when I had my 2 Wranglers, the amount of Patrol owners that used to come up and ask me about Jeeps was incredible.

My brother in law owns a Colorado and he'd crack the shits because nobody even looked at his when my Wrangle was next to it

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 29-06-2022
I just registered

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
After you have been on here for a while, you'll be surprised at how many Jeep owners used to own Patrols. Even when I had my 2 Wranglers, the amount of Patrol owners that used to come up and ask me about Jeeps was incredible.

My brother in law owns a Colorado and he'd crack the shits because nobody even looked at his when my Wrangle was next to it
Jamie, that wouldn't surprise me. When I was few years younger it was all about wheeling and finding the toughest tracks. The Patrol was great for that, but now I'm just keen to get out with the van and the tour the country or find a nice spot to do some fishing etc, and the Jeep does that very well considering probably at least 95% of the time it's on the black top.
www.caernarvontrack.com
Old 29-06-2022
Established Member

Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

Good to see you're happy with the new rig mate.
Don't be put off by the Grands good looks, they still keep up with the big rigs offroad, mine has shocked many Patrol, Prado and Wrangler owners.