JK - LED light to Hard Top Hatch glass - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep Installation and How To's
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-05-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallyd View Post
You could also place the led's taped to the lower part of the windo, so when you open the door, the projection is parrallel to the glas, sending most of the illumination into the car, rather than pointing down and out away from the car as you have fitted it.... trial and error. I'll study it when I get it and give results
Yeah good idea. I'd originally planned to put another one inside the hard top but I probably don't need it. See what you think though, they're cheap enough to put two strips in. I wanted mine to be useful outside the car as well, which it certainly is.
Old 24-05-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacdonald View Post
Nice. What did you use and how did you mount them?
They are flexible waterproof led strips they come with little plastic clips with double sided tape. They all so have a waterproof joiner, I'm still working on a better way to attach them. I take them off if I'm going in mud and put them on for rocks.

Is amazing how bright the little led strips are.
Old 02-06-2010
RubiconSlammer

Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

Did my install this evening. Similar install to yours, oldmacdonald, only difference is I bought some heat shrink, ran the cable down that, without shrinking it, and siliconed it to the inside from the led's to the motor box. I also ran it direct to the battery to be able to just open the back, without having to have the interior light on and the led's turn on... I loved the idea of the mercury switch, so of course, I bought the same one!!!
The better half is much happier now that she can see the shopping in the back!!
Thanks for the idea
Old 03-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nice, where are the photos!

I've decided I'm going to shift the supply for mine eventually too, for similar reasons.

The plan is to build another distribution panel on top of the wheel arch (like the Kilby Cargo panels) to plug the dual batteries into and run some other accessories. Once that is in I'll plug the hatch light into that as well. Just need to find some time to do all these things I have planned in my mind.
Old 03-06-2010
Super Moderator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys I am going to give this a go once I get my jeep (looks like Saturday AM I get it)...

I am very new to auto electrics... but not completely stupid either... Spent 12 years building and fixing computers and networks before I do what I do now...

While I understand how to install the switch etc... how did you wire it up to the internal cab lights, so when they come on the led's come on? If anyone has a "how to" on this I would love to read it
Old 03-06-2010
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

Such a simple idea yet needed by so many. I'll be looking into this myself.
Very cheap LED strip lighting, once again forgot about fleebay.

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-06-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigperth View Post
Hey guys I am going to give this a go once I get my jeep (looks like Saturday AM I get it)...

I am very new to auto electrics... but not completely stupid either... Spent 12 years building and fixing computers and networks before I do what I do now...

While I understand how to install the switch etc... how did you wire it up to the internal cab lights, so when they come on the led's come on? If anyone has a "how to" on this I would love to read it
I just used wire tap connectors to splice into the rear courtesy light wiring. You connect the new light in parallel, the black one is the negative and the middle one is the supply to the globe. The third wire is the switch trigger that (presumably) sends the switch signal back to the computer. Don't touch that one.
Post New Thread  Reply