Cherokee -98 2.5TD stops/stalls - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-09-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Hi, I'm new to the forum, resurrecting this old thread.

I got the same problem with my 2.5td XJ 2000. I read forums for months, but have not found the cure. It is randomly stalling when I push the clutch while engine braking. It also stalls some other times as well, when there is a steep drop in rpm, like going on the highway, and pushing down the clutch to let it coast down a hill.

I wired an LED indicator to the fuel shutoff solenoid, and turned out, that in these cases the ECU is deliberately cutting the fuel by closing the FSO valve, and that is causing the stall. A few seconds after stalling, the check engine light starts flashing. After this event, the engine does not resart by re-cranking only, I have to take off the ignition then switch it back and crank. This way the engine restarts flawless. After restart, the CEL goes away. The engine drives and idles fine, it is only the ECU cutting fuel for some reason.

At first I thought maybe the ECU thinks that the engine has stalled (for rpm drop), but when I deliberately stall the car I checked, and that case it is not closing the shutoff valve.

Any ideas for the real solution?
Old 20-09-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,545 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peti View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum, resurrecting this old thread.

I got the same problem with my 2.5td XJ 2000. I read forums for months, but have not found the cure. It is randomly stalling when I push the clutch while engine braking. It also stalls some other times as well, when there is a steep drop in rpm, like going on the highway, and pushing down the clutch to let it coast down a hill.

I wired an LED indicator to the fuel shutoff solenoid, and turned out, that in these cases the ECU is deliberately cutting the fuel by closing the FSO valve, and that is causing the stall. A few seconds after stalling, the check engine light starts flashing. After this event, the engine does not resart by re-cranking only, I have to take off the ignition then switch it back and crank. This way the engine restarts flawless. After restart, the CEL goes away. The engine drives and idles fine, it is only the ECU cutting fuel for some reason.

At first I thought maybe the ECU thinks that the engine has stalled (for rpm drop), but when I deliberately stall the car I checked, and that case it is not closing the shutoff valve.

Any ideas for the real solution?
I have heard that there is some electronic link where by when you put your foot on the brake it is supposed to cut the fuel if the jeep is moving. This is to improve engine braking. I have had my 2001 cut out at about 80km/hr while slowing down. I just put it into neutral, turn the key off & back on, put back into gear & it starts. Has happened about 6 times in the past 4 years. No big deal.
Old 21-09-2018
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
I have heard that there is some electronic link where by when you put your foot on the brake it is supposed to cut the fuel if the jeep is moving. This is to improve engine braking. I have had my 2001 cut out at about 80km/hr while slowing down. I just put it into neutral, turn the key off & back on, put back into gear & it starts. Has happened about 6 times in the past 4 years. No big deal.
Thanks, this weekend I'll certainly try to check what switches I have around the brake and the clutch, and if there is any damage to them. My truck stalls on me once every 10 to 500 miles. The restart itself is no big deal, but if she'd happened to stall on me in a junction in front of a semi, that could be an issue

I'm afraid the normal engine brake fuel cut is done by the pumps fuel quantity regulator, not by the FSO. My FSO led only goes out when it stalls like that or when I shut off the car, never while normal driving.

When I have news I'll report back.
Old 21-09-2018
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,545 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peti View Post
Thanks, this weekend I'll certainly try to check what switches I have around the brake and the clutch, and if there is any damage to them. My truck stalls on me once every 10 to 500 miles. The restart itself is no big deal, but if she'd happened to stall on me in a junction in front of a semi, that could be an issue

I'm afraid the normal engine brake fuel cut is done by the pumps fuel quantity regulator, not by the FSO. My FSO led only goes out when it stalls like that or when I shut off the car, never while normal driving.

When I have news I'll report back.
I have removed the switch on the clutch that prevents the jeep from starting without your foot on the clutch.
Old 07-10-2018
I just registered

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I am experiencing the exact same issue with my 2.5TD although it does not occur often. Like others, I can cause it to stall even when parked and running by simply revving it up to about 3,000rpm for a few seconds and then just releasing the pedal.

Although it does not happen often, it will usually happen when driving 110km/h on the freeway and then having to slow down to say a 90km/h zone by slowly releasing the accelerator pedal even without applying my foot to either the break or clutch.

It can be dangerous at times especially if you are approaching a roundabout or are in the right lane (overtaking in Australia) and all of a sudden you lose power.

I am glad vux got it sorted by replacing the IP although I was hoping it would be something else. Peti's findings I found rather interesting.
Old 08-10-2018
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M84AB1 View Post
Although it does not happen often, it will usually happen when driving 110km/h on the freeway and then having to slow down to say a 90km/h zone by slowly releasing the accelerator pedal even without applying my foot to either the break or clutch.
For me this == engine braking.
- if I engine brake it almost always causes the stall.

Solution == clutch, foot off accelerator, blip throttle (barely touch it), brake. (Never ever engine brake)
- It sounds convoluted, but it's not, it might be worth a try, can practice stationary in driveway...

That said, my XJ is now off the road. I have a replacement IP from a fellow member that I need to fit up to test.

You are welcome to my old one, once I pull it off the vehicle. It can be pulled apart / rebuilt etc. If you are in Vic most welcome to come around and give me a nudge to swap it out.
- swapping out the IP is not a priority for me presently as car has been replaced and I have many, many other things to build/fix etc..
- probably better is to try and find another one... they should be about?

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2018
I just registered

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I still have not solved the issue, but meanwhile I stumbled upon a Bosch VE EDC system description which says, that if there is a percieved fuel quantity regulator error, the control system also reacts by switching off the engine via the fuel shutoff valve. The fuel quantity regulator is monitored by the control collar position sensor, if that fails it can seem for the ECU that the fuel quantity control is not working, and can make the ECU to stop the engine. I think I got to look into this further.
This might also explain why the IP change fixed the issue for vux.
Post New Thread  Reply