XJ Wheel Hubs (Bearings) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 117 Times in 56 Posts
Default XJ Wheel Hubs (Bearings)

Okay so both of my Timken front hubs appear to have failed (heaps of movement in the the 6 and 12 test) so I'm pricing up replacements.

Now I wasn't too happy with the Timkens to be honest - after 6 months or so I had to knock out all the studs and replace them with my old ones because they all began to bind something terrible.
The bearings themselves lasted 4 years though so I guess that's not bad. Now that they've both failed though I'd prefer to try another brand.

This is the approximate pricing I've received so far:

From the USA (popular online store):
  • Timken: $300 for the pair
  • Moog: $329 for the pair
  • SKF: $342 for the pair

From Bursons:
  • Motortech: $280 for the pair (exact brand unknown)

From Poly4x4:
  • No-name: $380 for the pair

From Jeep:
  • OEM: $800 for the pair (only 1 available)

From Supercheap (special pricing)
  • Ultimate $300 for the pair
  • Bearing wholesalers $250 for pair
  • Protex $400 for pair

Anyone have other suggestions or any feedback on the Bursons product? I'd prefer to buy local if possible but I can have the hubs from the states to my door in 5 days so no big deal if they're the best option.

I'll post up any other pricing I get too.

Cheers.

Last edited by Hamsteh; 11-08-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-08-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 98 Times in 65 Posts

Interesting when you installed them you were sure they were torqued down correctly ? From my understanding they should only fail that quickly if they weren't tightened to the correct spec. Mudmonster recommended an eBay pair when I was looking for new ones. If he sees this he might be able to provide the link to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud_slut View Post
Interesting when you installed them you were sure they were torqued down correctly ? From my understanding they should only fail that quickly if they weren't tightened to the correct spec. Mudmonster recommended an eBay pair when I was looking for new ones. If he sees this he might be able to provide the link to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly it was 4 years ago so I'm not exactly unhappy with the life of the bearings just a bit grumpy about the studs. I'm usually pretty good with correct torques - I have a 1/2" torque wrench for that exact purpose - but it was so long ago I don't remember!

Thanks for the input though mate!

EDIT: I think my original post is misleading. The Timkens lasted 4 years, not 6 months! It was just the wheel studs that had to be replaced.

Last edited by Hamsteh; 11-08-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2016
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Check those Raybestos branded units from Rock Auto. Top company.
Old 11-08-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpage66 View Post
Check those Raybestos branded units from Rock Auto. Top company.
Do you have any experience with their wheel hubs? Limited info available, seem to be made in China but seems most brands are and country of origin matters less than quality assurances!
Old 11-08-2016
The Leaver of Red Jeeps

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsteh View Post
Do you have any experience with their wheel hubs? Limited info available, seem to be made in China but seems most brands are and country of origin matters less than quality assurances!
Running Raybestos pads on the XJ and the XH...have those exact wheel hubs on the XJ.
Raybestos is one of the largest, if not the largest, brake component companies in the States. Combine that with Rock Auto's customer service...
Old 16-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

i changed my front hubs late last year (got the gsp hubs from sc)i work for there competitors and my trade price couldnt match there price (my origional hubs where still good) nice looking units all machined surfaces spot on and 3 year 60,000 k warranty importer is aadi aust pty ltd coopers plains www.aadiaustralia.com,au
Post New Thread  Reply