What did you do to your Grand today (ZJ/WJ)? - Page 201 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
Didn't I mention that somewhere that with a new Mercedes transmission mount, the transfer case hits the skid? I've been without a skid ever since I changed the transmission mount.

I would add spacers above the transmission mount to lift the whole thing up. There's a guy in the states that used 1 inch spacers and didn't have trouble. Extra clearance
Don't recall seeing you mention that.

Where would you put the spacer? Between the mount and the plate it bolts to, or between the plate and the cross member?

Edit: never mind. Dumb question. Has to go between the plate and the cross member.

Last edited by JeanLuke; 08-04-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 231 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
Don't recall seeing you mention that.

Where would you put the spacer? Between the mount and the plate it bolts to, or between the plate and the cross member?

Edit: never mind. Dumb question. Has to go between the plate and the cross member.
I would do it between the crossmember and the mount.

This summer I will be working on a high-clearance crossmember. I still don't want to lift the jeep and gaining 50mm under the lowest point would be awesome.
Old 09-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
I would do it between the crossmember and the mount.

This summer I will be working on a high-clearance crossmember. I still don't want to lift the jeep and gaining 50mm under the lowest point would be awesome.
D'oh!! Missed the bleeding obvious! It's dead easy to put it there and the existing piece of aluminium has enough spare to do it.

Are you going to draw up the cross member or just fab on the fly?
Old 09-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

I'll design it in Sketchup first, I've got a spare crossmember for reference measurements and then I'll check under the car for space.

For simplicity's sake, it will be a flat 5-6mm plate, bent in the right places with gussets welded to the side. As close as possible to the IRO design
Old 13-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

Bolted on a winch today. I thought it would take an hour or two. It took more like five by the time I modified the spotlight mounts and grill support to fit it.

Note to others... Fit the fairlead first. Getting to the nuts after the winch is in is damn near impossible.
Old 20-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

Fixed the spacer on the transfer case guard, as discussed above. The picture is about half of what I extracted from the crossmember. The rest landed on the garage floor and my hair.
Old 21-04-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Swapped over the wheels from the old Jeep, as the tires on the new jeep were from 2005 ()

Then I decided to wash the front of the engine because the previous owner did not clean up after fixing a leaky fuel line o-ring and the car would smell like diesel when it got warm. This turned into "hey, let's clean as much as we can"

Before:

After:

And because it was bugging me, I decided to wrap the heater core hoses in manifold wrap. The heat from the turbo cooks them, mine were still soft luckily .
Post New Thread  Reply