So just serviced the GC, a few Q's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-07-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default So just serviced the GC, a few Q's

As title suggest I just serviced the 2.7 crd engine in my jeep.

I did a penrite engine flush before dumping the oil.

I changed the filter, found the old one had collapses slightly and it had plastic ends on it?
I used MANN filters as suggested on here. No plastic ends?
They appeared to be the same over all length as the new filter with the plastic end caps. Were they supposed to be transfered?
I replaced and lubricated orings and torqued to 25nm.
No leaks.

Added 6.5l of penrite enviro diesel 10w40 fully synthetic. Just over min mark on stick. I cranked it to life to check for leaks. Oil pressure on dash cluster was slightly above mid way.
Shut off and let sit for 5. Oil level still on min.
Added 500ml, 1\3 from min mark. So added another 500ml now half way between min and max. I've had a GQ 4.2 which required oil level between min and max, the service book for the jeep kind of reads that way in saying keep between the two.
What do you fill to?

Thanks,
Old 14-07-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I find with my crd the oil pressure will sit a little higher until it is warmed up, then will generally sit straight up and down. Im running penrite 10w40 hpr10, From memory takes about 8lt. Used a ryco filter, my wg has over 310xxx km on it and the engine hasn't missed a beat since i have owned it.
Old 14-07-2018
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneWJ View Post

I did a penrite engine flush before dumping the oil.
I think this is a worthwhile exercise, I'd do it again at the next oil change too.

Quote:
I changed the filter, found the old one had collapses slightly and it had plastic ends on it?
I used MANN filters as suggested on here. No plastic ends?
They appeared to be the same over all length as the new filter with the plastic end caps.
It was either a Baldwin or Ryco filter, I'm not a fan of them as I've have one of the ends fall off on mine.

Quote:
Were they supposed to be transfered?
I replaced and lubricated orings and torqued to 25nm.
No leaks.
The MANN filter is installed as it comes, not other parts are needed.

Quote:
Added 6.5l of penrite enviro diesel 10w40 fully synthetic. Just over min mark on stick. I cranked it to life to check for leaks. Oil pressure on dash cluster was slightly above mid way.
My oil pressure will do the same even now with oil that's done 14,000km. This is quite normal from what I've seen discussed before. What was the pressure like before the oil change?

Quote:
Shut off and let sit for 5. Oil level still on min.
Added 500ml, 1\3 from min mark. So added another 500ml now half way between min and max. I've had a GQ 4.2 which required oil level between min and max, the service book for the jeep kind of reads that way in saying keep between the two.
What do you fill to?

Thanks,
I always fill to the Max mark, and when it gets closer to the low mark I'll add some oil. All good from my point of view to run this way. Any engine should be able to tolerate a bit of overfilling IMHO so you'll be safe filling to the max mark.
Old 15-07-2018
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

MANN oil filters and air filters ordered online from Sparesbox.com.au !

Fast delivery and cheap too.
Im at 275,000KMS and still running pretty well.

I use Penrite HPR 10w40 and needle is in the middle once warmed and slightly higher than middle upon startup.
Old 15-07-2018
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
I think this is a worthwhile exercise, I'd do it again at the next oil change too.

Yeah I will for sure.

It was either a Baldwin or Ryco filter, I'm not a fan of them as I've have one of the ends fall off on mine.

Looked crap lol. Collapsed slightly.

The MANN filter is installed as it comes, not other parts are needed.

Good good.

My oil pressure will do the same even now with oil that's done 14,000km. This is quite normal from what I've seen discussed before. What was the pressure like before the oil change?

I'd say its slightly higher now. Comes close to before once the engine is up to temp though.

I always fill to the Max mark, and when it gets closer to the low mark I'll add some oil. All good from my point of view to run this way. Any engine should be able to tolerate a bit of overfilling IMHO so you'll be safe filling to the max mark.
I tell you what, it has the most frustrating dip stick in all vehicles I've owned. Difficult to get a consistent reading. It can have one side smeared over the max and other on l. Looks like it took around 8L in the end. Why the hell does every oil manufacturer and the service book state 6.5L?
Old 15-07-2018
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
I tell you what, it has the most frustrating dip stick in all vehicles I've owned. Difficult to get a consistent reading. It can have one side smeared over the max and other on l. Looks like it took around 8L in the end. Why the hell does every oil manufacturer and the service book state 6.5L?
The 6.5l may be a Sprinter capacity, I much prefer the 8l volume though, more oil is a good thing in a 4WD IMO.

Jason
Old 15-07-2018
CrawlerStar

From what I've read the mercs don't even run a dipstick in them? Probably realised the huge angle of the tube makes it difficult.
Post New Thread  Reply