10:50 or 12:50 tires on a Wrangler? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Default 10:50 or 12:50 tires on a Wrangler?

Hello all,

anyone here running 33x10:50x15" tyres? We all know how well the 31x10 works as an all rounder so why not get all the advantage of the height of a 33" with the better suited 10:50 width on such a light sports utility?

The advantages found when comparing 33x12.5x15 to 33x10.5x15 on a TJ wrangler:
  • You get less drag from a skinner tyre and therefore better economy
  • They seem to absorb bumps more efficiently
  • The 10.5 is lighter then the 12.5 - less unsprung weight = good
  • They air up noticeably faster than the 12.5

As an added bonus they sorta kinda almost fit under the flairs with a (I think) 4.5 offset, after 14 years of running this setup I've not so much as raised a wallopers eyebrow

I have never seen a wrangler with this size tyre and I can't help but wonder why when you consider the advantages, I guess they just don't look as... (not sure if it's politically correct to say this but) FAT, or perhaps there is some advantage in deep ruts but that's not been my experience. In fact when with other Jeep's I have been at an obvious advantage with the 12's seemingly aquaplaning (for want of a better word) in extremely wet conditions when running tracks like Anderson in the Bunyip state park and it's nothing to do with ability, it's just more traction with the skinner footprint.

As far as I know the only tyre Co to make this size is BFG and they are available in all terrain and mudders. If you know of any other Co. that retail in this configuration please do tell

As size can be a contentious topic for some I thought it fitting as a first post in this supper awesome Jeepilistic forum let the flames begin...

- JH
Old 04-09-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

15" rims won't clear the brakes on most JKs.
Old 04-09-2015
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza D View Post
15" rims won't clear the brakes on most JKs.
Well there's a good reason lol however, that dont let all those TJ compadres of mine off the hook.
Old 05-09-2015
Established Member

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I've got bfg muddies in 33x10.5. Never got used to how skinny they look after having 12.5's but like the way they drive..mine are quite warn and thinking will swap to a more common size like 285/75/16.BFG only have at's listed on there websites so I guess the MUDs are out of production.Toyo,Interco and simmex also do pizza cutters but I don't know how hard they would be to get in Oz.
Old 05-09-2015
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherblacktj View Post
I've got bfg muddies in 33x10.5. Never got used to how skinny they look after having 12.5's but like the way they drive..
I used to have 33's on a 97 TJ for three years so I know what you mean, it's hard to go down but I think I am used to the skinny look these days and now I have an 01 like yours, nice!

I see you have 4:10, how do you feel about the 10:50 tyre combo with 4:10, is it low enough? I have the 3:6's and I would not want to go too much lower. I guess you never know until you go there?

Quote:
thinking will swap to a more common size like 285/75/16.BFG
I keep thinking the same but I like the extra profile cause I feel that's part of what's flexing more with respect to absorbing bumps, I'd like to here from others with 285/75/16 or close

Quote:
pizza cutters
Ahh the ole 9.50, still using one as a spare to this day.