2.8L CRD reliability/issues? - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Not the procrastinator...But

Its been 3 months now and have not had any issues as its only done 10k. Going for the 10k service next week. Been out twice in it, the last up at Billy Goats and it went quite well. Bit dissapointing as they have filled up the top of Billy Goats with smallish rocks making it fairly easy. The fuel consumtion is about the same as the disco but the power is much better, especially towing my boat. One of the only things thats driving me crazy is the rattle either in the drivers door or the pillar. I'm getting them to look at it on the service. The gearing at about 100km's towing can be a bit of a pain when hitting a hill, it makes it kick back more than the disco did but he extra power brings it back to 100kms and beyond quite well. Oh, dont fit the Safari snorkel, the vibration will drive you nuts.
Old 03-06-2011
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postbeagle View Post
The gearing at about 100km's towing can be a bit of a pain when hitting a hill, it makes it kick back more than the disco did but he extra power brings it back to 100kms and beyond quite well.
Do you use the o/d off button? I've never towed with mine but I know when I'm sitting on the freeway on cruise control I find it best to hit the o/d off button as I approach a steeper hill and kick it back to 4th. It then runs up the hill no bother and drop the o/d back on at the top. Without this it'll try to hold 5th for way too long and drop off maybe 10km/hr before it it drops a gear (gets a bit worrying if you've got a big truck in your rear view mirror). When it drops it then drops to 3rd before settling into 4th and then powers up the hill til the speed gets above the cruise limit then it shoves it back to 5th and the whole process starts again. Gets damn annoying. Even if you're not using the cruise control the o/d off button is the best way to get a smooth run up the hills. Only down side is the stupid place they but the button. I also run mine with the o/d off around town, and at anything up to 80km/hr. Seems to change the shift pattern slightly (or it could just be me imagining things!) and is better in the traffic. I'm using it so much I'm thinking of moving the button to somewhere more accessible.
Old 03-06-2011
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No have not tried that but will. Its a strange setup. You have 123 or (Drive i think) then the overdrive button but its a 5 speed?

Not towing for a while but will try it. Thanks...
Old 03-06-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Don't tow with Overdrive On. Pretty sure it says this in the manual.

Turn it off if towing or driving around town!

The revs are not too high at 100km/hr with it Off either. It may be revving more but it will definitely be working less.
Old 04-06-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postbeagle View Post
One of the only things thats driving me crazy is the rattle either in the drivers door or the pillar. I'm getting them to look at it on the service.
That's an easy fix; a couple of wraps of insulation tape around the door latch and the irritating B pillar rattle will be gone. I mean the part attached to the pillar, not on the door itself.
Old 04-06-2011
AJOR Silver

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

David is right
I did this to my jku months ago and no door ratle ever since.
There are new parts ( latches) from mopar for the new jk 11 but there are still complaints on same rattle noise.

Cheers
Joh

JKU 2009, 2,8 CRD, ARB, OME, IPF, Mopar, Warn
www.jeepromania.ro
Old 04-06-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I was thinking of getting a CRD when I upgrade next year (wish in hindsight I'd gone a CRD when I originally got the JK instead of getting the minivan motor), but this whole nightmare with the DPFs that people seem to be having with the 2011s has me running scared. Anyone know if Chrysler/the dealerships are making any progress on solving these issues? When I was at my dealers last week for some warranty work they had two virtually brand new 2011 JK CRDs in there for the DPI related issue (MIL lights, limp mode), & the service manager admitted they were scratching their heads trying to work it out.
Post New Thread  Reply