JKU CRD Auto Economy - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2015
Established Member

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default JKU CRD Auto Economy

Hi All

Stock standard new JKU CRD Auto. I realise it's early days as I have only done 600k's, but just wanting to know fuel economy figures from anyone who has a CRD Auto. I am currently getting around 11.5/100ks. Does this get better over time, or is that about average?. I will be putting 32's, rock sliders, front & rear bar & some other bits & pieces. I realise these will effect the fuel economy, but does it go up considerably?

I also have a issue when putting the jeep in reverse, mainly when it is cold. Once I select reverse, the engine revs drop & it seems like the car is going to stall, them the revs come up again to proper idle. It will alternate between the low revs & normal idle every 10 seconds or so till i put it in drive. As I said this mainly happens when the car is cold. It will be going in for the 1000k check next week, but any info would be appreciated
Old 05-07-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Congrats on the new JK.

Fuel consumption sounds OK to me.
When I first got mine I couldn't get it under 12l/100km no matter what I did. Stayed like that for about 7000km and slowly improved until about 20,000km.
While still stock I could get it around mid 9's on a decent run, and even into the 8's if I was doing a steady 80km/hr. Around town it would be under 11 most of the time.
When I added a 2" lift and 33's the consumption increased by about 1-1.5l/100km. It then dropped by about the same amount when I had the GDE tune done.
More recently I've fitted a front bar and I've noticed that has affected the freeway economy. Probably added 0.5-1.0l/100km.

Can't help with the reverse thing. Definitely a question for the dealer.
Old 05-07-2015
Established Member

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for the reply.
The economy is not too bad I suppose. I will see over time as the engine beds in. The reversing issue seems to be OK if the car is warmed up a minute or so before driving off. Wouldn't mind some more info regarding the GDE tune.
Old 05-07-2015
Established Member

Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

If your going off the factory L/100 on the dash i wouldnt bother, it goes up when stationary. Iv got an app on my phone and i log my kms and fuel amount and it then gives you your fuel usage on a graph, much more accurate. mine has 120xxxkms 32's the rest is stock, i get 9-9.5 L/100
Also you cant get a GDE tune as they only work on my10 and below. You need a murchison tune, just got mine, love it.
Old 06-07-2015
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

My 2011 CRD is on lease so the lease company tells me the accurate L/100km. After 130,000 I have averaged 12/100km on 33's with a trans cooler mounted in front of the intercooler. I have only just fitted 34's and I think this will increase now to 13/100kms (no re-gearing).

I am sure this average would drop if I was to give the intercooler and inlet manifold a good clean as after 130,000 the EGR has surely caked oil in these parts making them less efficient. Install a oil catch can when you get the chance
Old 06-07-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 37 Times in 28 Posts

That fuel use is about right, the engine idle speed is not. I have never experienced that with ours, although the gear box is sort of clunky and the shifting is a bit off for the first few minutes.
It pays to start the car and let it settle for a minute or two before driving.
The other thing I do, before tuning the engine over leave the ignition on till LED's start turning off, it will start better that way.
Old 06-07-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8Drew View Post
My 2011 CRD is on lease so the lease company tells me the accurate L/100km. After 130,000 I have averaged 12/100km on 33's with a trans cooler mounted in front of the intercooler. I have only just fitted 34's and I think this will increase now to 13/100kms (no re-gearing).

I am sure this average would drop if I was to give the intercooler and inlet manifold a good clean as after 130,000 the EGR has surely caked oil in these parts making them less efficient. Install a oil catch can when you get the chance
Hi dv8
Your specs are where I am headed. Any pics of the trans cooler? What tyres are you running?
Provent catch can really works well, amazed at how dry the outlet is and how much oil drains out.
13 l/100 ks on 33s at the moment.
Cheers.
Post New Thread  Reply