3 way fridge mechanic needed - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-09-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default 3 way fridge mechanic needed

Got a 3 way fridge and need some one to have a look at it on the gold coast. Does anyone have any suggestions for where i can take it on the Goldy?

Thanks Gents

Is it beer o"clock yet!!!!

2005 TJ
2003 KJ CRD
Little 03 Honda Jazz
Old 22-09-2012
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Whats wrong with it? Im a dometic/ waeco agent and might be able to point you in right direction
Old 22-09-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko73 View Post
Whats wrong with it? Im a dometic/ waeco agent and might be able to point you in right direction
Hi the fridge is a 'Sibir' (German brand) and the problem is that I've had no luck in getting it to work with either 240V or on gas. Not that I'm sure of all the things I need to do to turn it on (as all instructions are in German).

The fridge was given by a neighbour heading back to Germany(and he said it worked fine) so I don't know where to take it to get it looked at.

Any ideas?

Is it beer o"clock yet!!!!

2005 TJ
2003 KJ CRD
Little 03 Honda Jazz
Old 22-09-2012
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Ok, can you get the pilot light to light on gas? So i take it your not sure on instructions on turning it on? 3 ways basically work by heating up a chamber filled with a mixture of water and ammonia, on gas the thermostate is bypassed to a point, so if you can get the pilot light going and there is no cooling it could be a case of the unit has been sitting too long and the mixture has seperated, thats a fairly common problem, to fix that just turn unit updide down for 12 hours and then back normal again, leave si and light pilot again, tat mixes up the mixture and will usually fix the problem, if you cant get the pilot light lit thats a bit harder to explain via here and you may need to see someone, with the 12 / 240 side of things, basically you will hav two elements hidden under the insulation wrapped around the heating chamber, depending how handy you are you may be able to fix your self, DONT tr this with the 240 side of things, but with the 12 volt side, check to see if you have power to the element, with a metter connected to it you can play with dials to to see if you ave power, if you do and still no cooling( mind you they usually will take a few hours to cool down) it may be rhe element has had it, they are fairly cheap o replace but if its something else especially being german parts may be hard to get, and expensive, the other thing you need to think about is since it was given to you, how much are you willing to spend on it, in my opinnion 3 ways are pretty useless and i wouldnt spend a heap fixing it, let me know if any of this yelps
Old 12-01-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have same designs to you and they are great, under regular circumstances. They use very little gas, don't need residential solar panels etc, but are very ineffective as the weather warms up.
Old 22-01-2014
Established Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Hi mate,
hope you got your fridge to work. If you like i can translate the german instructions for you without any problems.
We have a similar fridge bought from Aldi (can get it from BCS and supercheap as well) and used it for around 4 years now.
I agree once the weather heats up they are not very effective. As a general rule they only get 15degC below outside temperature. Having said that if you keep them in the shade they do the job even on a 35degC day and use very little gas.
If you plug them into 240VAC the day before use they freeze up and are good for the road trip. However the 12V side is only to keep it at the temperature and it takes way too long to cool it down. They work best on 240 and gas.
Another thing to remember...keep those fridges level as the slightest angle will stop it from working.
Old 22-01-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash65 View Post
..but are very ineffective as the weather warms up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Phet View Post
I agree once the weather heats up they are not very effective. As a general rule they only get 15degC below outside temperature. Having said that if you keep them in the shade they do the job even on a 35degC day and use very little gas.
I'm surprised to hear this, i have an old Finch 3 way, running on gas it will freeze the contents even when ambient is 30 odd degrees.
Post New Thread  Reply