CJ7 Larado: Larry, the Rebuild - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-01-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default CJ7 Larado: Larry, the Rebuild

Seemsi dont have a build thread for this car so here it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Forgive me lord for i have sinned.
Its been 1 month since my last jeep purchase
This time its Larry the 83' Laredo
I know i shouldnt have but he looked lonely..
He has spent the last 10yrs in a nice dry, clean garage.
His PO just looked at him, rubbed his curves and got the motor running without allowing him to roam.
He is cancer free, needs 2 new shoes and some fresh energy in his tank and he can be rego'ed and allowed to roam once more.

Please forgive me oh lord...

Old 26-01-2013
Full Flexer

Pulled the rear diff for a tidy up, paint and new shocks.

Old shocks (i haven't removed the bushes, there weren't any)

Old 26-01-2013
Full Flexer

OK... playing around with the rear OME springs today while i wait for the shackles to get here and found the OME bushes are different. The diameter is the same (measured) but the end of the bush is different (see pic)

Also OME only supply a metal sleeve for the the non-shackle end. Im pretty sure there is supposed to be one in the hangers and shackle end of the spring too but the only reference is to a plastic sleeve.

Ive since found the spring hanger attached to the chassis is slightly wider than the spring so the smaller ones go in there and the wider edge ones into the spring.

New Springs vs old springs

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 26-01-2013
Full Flexer

Started stripping the front end in preparation of new suspension, ball joints, steering and to get the brakes working.

The good news is the bearings look new and grease fresh BUT the op didnt replace any seals so ill throw in a set. Front calipers have seen better days and only one side actually worked (the other was full of milky looking sludge and was seized) Both slides were gummed up and hardly moved which wouldn't have helped.

The reason i decided to install new ball joints was the old ones were REALLY stiff. IM not sure what the pre-load is supposed to be but these needed both hands and full force to turn. Its no wonder the power steering goans. Of course having no bushes in the springs, sway bars and no shocks made the front end feel loose as hell.

Last edited by VooDoo2; 26-01-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 26-01-2013
Full Flexer

Rear diff ready to go. I have a set of Crabtree spring hangers coming to suit the YJ springs and found a good place for the bolts. RM are true to form and have no idea what their parts are and what is needed to fit the, (missing 8 sleeves and when i went and asked for them told me i needed to buy their complete spring hanger setup *(which dont list them)

If you look at the left side of the diff you can see some bad pitting of the tubes. Its something im going to have to keep an eye on as they are quite deep.

Brakes have been rebuilt with all new hardware and new drums are on order.
Old 26-01-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Have you ordered ya crabtree hangers yet ?
Nice 7 too
Old 26-01-2013
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

You've been busy.