CJ8 or CJ10 Build Thoughts - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-11-2014
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default CJ8 or CJ10 Build Thoughts

Hi all

I've recently fallen in love with the CJ8 and CJ10 and am strongly considering moving into one as an all rounder (both a daily driver, weekend toy and long trip tourer).

For build consideration, it needs to be economical to run and will need to be an auto as the Mrs will need to drive it a few times per year. Budget will be $10-12k max and must be a 4 seater.

Behind door number 1:
Start with a CJ8 and swap diesel engine/trans, probably diff swap or upgrades

Behind door number 2:
Start with CJ10 diesel and swap in a CJ8 tub, modified to fit CJ10 wheelbase (but not overall length so standard tops will fit). Will also need at least a trans swap, probably a swap to SD33T.

If money allows for either option, a Chev 6.2 (or 6.5 turbo if i can find a decent one to import cheap enough) in front of a 700R4 appears to be the simplest option, given the 6.2/6.5 is standard 350 Chev mounting patterns. NSW rego/engineering may say otherwise however. KJ VM 2.8 + 5-speed auto may be another option, but would probably blow out the budget and more messing around with electronics and custom mounts than I would be willing to put up with.

I have read the CJ10a has the Dodge housing TF727 behind the SD33 with an adapter plate. Has anyone seen a locally (or US) available overdrive auto with the Dodge pattern?

How easy to find are decent CJ8 tubs in Aus? And are they compatible width/height wise (mounts aside) with the firewall/tub from the CJ10? Am I correct in assuming the sides and floor are flat enough to easily relocated the wheel wells rearward? I presume the CJ8 tub won't be long enough to cover the entire chassis, I would want to build a dual wheel carrier anyway.

I'm planning to attend Jambo 2015 so will spend some time checking out the CJ8s and CJ10s, hopefully can make up my mind thereafter.

In the interim, any thoughts and considerations as to the best value proposition to either option would be appreciated (aside from the fact I'm probably mad lol).
Old 25-11-2014
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidecustoms View Post
Hi all

I've recently fallen in love with the CJ8 and CJ10 and am strongly considering moving into one as an all rounder (both a daily driver, weekend toy and long trip tourer).

For build consideration, it needs to be economical to run and will need to be an auto as the Mrs will need to drive it a few times per year. Budget will be $10-12k max and must be a 4 seater.

Behind door number 1:
Start with a CJ8 and swap diesel engine/trans, probably diff swap or upgrades

Behind door number 2:
Start with CJ10 diesel and swap in a CJ8 tub, modified to fit CJ10 wheelbase (but not overall length so standard tops will fit). Will also need at least a trans swap, probably a swap to SD33T.

If money allows for either option, a Chev 6.2 (or 6.5 turbo if i can find a decent one to import cheap enough) in front of a 700R4 appears to be the simplest option, given the 6.2/6.5 is standard 350 Chev mounting patterns. NSW rego/engineering may say otherwise however. KJ VM 2.8 + 5-speed auto may be another option, but would probably blow out the budget and more messing around with electronics and custom mounts than I would be willing to put up with.

I have read the CJ10a has the Dodge housing TF727 behind the SD33 with an adapter plate. Has anyone seen a locally (or US) available overdrive auto with the Dodge pattern?

How easy to find are decent CJ8 tubs in Aus? And are they compatible width/height wise (mounts aside) with the firewall/tub from the CJ10? Am I correct in assuming the sides and floor are flat enough to easily relocated the wheel wells rearward? I presume the CJ8 tub won't be long enough to cover the entire chassis, I would want to build a dual wheel carrier anyway.

I'm planning to attend Jambo 2015 so will spend some time checking out the CJ8s and CJ10s, hopefully can make up my mind thereafter.

In the interim, any thoughts and considerations as to the best value proposition to either option would be appreciated (aside from the fact I'm probably mad lol).
Ill offer the following.

Your budget aint enough. For either.
Good luck finding a clean enough CJ8 for your starting budget, let alone then doing the mods. Good CJ8's are rare. Crap ones are rare too.
If you find a clean CJ8, why would you then bugger it completely swapping everything out and turning it into Frankenzilla?
A CJ10 is a two seater only. 4 seats dont go. You could bolt your old loungeroom couch in the tray I guess, although the fun nazi's may disagree with your thinking.
Dodge housing on the auto 727? Huh? Try AMC housing.
A J10 (CJ10) is a modified CJ cab on a FSJ Chassis, with different front guards, bonnet, front panel and grill, and doors. The CJ chassis is very different again to a J10 one.

Yes, you are mad.

Go to jambo, have a good look at both (assuming there are both there) then decide which way to go.
Personally, for lots of reasons, it would be FAR easier and probably cheaper to find a cleanish TJ for $5k (or less) and swap a diesel/auto into it (find a rolled/smashed diesel KJ if you like, it would be cheap enough and come with 99% of the stuff you need to do the conversion). No one will care if you butcher a TJ in the process, they are common as. And four seats too.

Last edited by Richo; 25-11-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 25-11-2014
CrawlerStar

Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts

I like your plans, I think it's great you are wanting to play with the old stuff but like richo said good luck finding a cj8.
The the thing that got me was you wanting to use as long trip tourer, that's game. From doing a modded cj7 I can safely say your budget won't get the job done engine mod wise then plate it, it's all the little bits you have to do.
Old 25-11-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Agree 100% with Richo, good luck trying to find a half decent CJ8 for that budget. As for everything else you want to do I think you have about one third of the cash you will need. Possible option might be to find one in the US and get some work done there and then ship over, (even converted to RHD) would be cheaper but I imagine very complicated.

2012 JK Unlimited
85 CJ8 Overlander
83 Overlander build
Old 25-11-2014
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts

Good Luck with it. My CJ8 is currently sitting parts (all there, just need a few things done) & would be pushed to let it go for that price as it sits.
However I do know where there is another one (well most of) that is in parts & may be able to be swayed into selling it. Not sure what he'd be asking but?

PM me if your interested & I'll ask him.
Old 25-11-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

been a cj8 on gumtree for a while now located in sydney
Old 25-11-2014
MudSplasher

Liked 275 Times in 139 Posts
Default CJ8 or CJ10 Build Thoughts

Thanks guys.

There's an original 83 CJ8 local to me (on gumtree) asking $6900 but would need a good work over as it's been sitting for 16 years. Hence my thought that there's a few around. Agreed though that I wouldn't want to butcher a mint one though.

CJ10s seem to come up more often than CJ8s as long as I've been watching though.

Re the TF727, the CJ10a tugs used the dodge pattern with the SD33 reportedly, different housing/pattern to those behind the 360. They seem to be around enough in the US to source an adapter plate and the 3 speed auto too if I couldn't find a 4 speed to mate with it.

As a tourer, we would likely end up with a camper trailer.

You might be right Buzzcutter about bringing one in from the U.S., I believe NSW rego still permits LHD for 30 year old cars and I still have contacts in the import game.

I see CJ10s running YJ doors, how likely is it that a CJ8 tub could marry up to the firewall forward front end of a CJ10? I've also seen CJ10 front clips on CJ7s etc..