WK2: Kev's Buildup! (Lots of Photos) - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Default Kev's WK2 Buildup! (Lots of Photos)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev. View Post
Hi Matt,

The trailer is just a standard box trailer and to be honest it went really well on Stradbroke Island (it did drag a bit in the soft sand but that's expected).

If the trailer was to be used off-road quite often I would look into the heavier duty version, but for what we used it really wasn't needed.

Kev.
Hi Kev, when towing a trailer on sand, you can drop the trailer tyre pressures well below the tow vehicle, below 10psi, even down to 5psi, as the trailer tyres are not driving tyres they will not spin on the rim, and as they are not steer tyres they don't get the side ways pressure when turning corners!, so they won't peel off the rim at these low pressures.
If you run your trailer tyre pressures at 10psi or below when on sand your trailer will just float along behind you
Old 04-07-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda42 View Post
Hi Kev, when towing a trailer on sand, you can drop the trailer tyre pressures well below the tow vehicle, below 10psi, even down to 5psi, as the trailer tyres are not driving tyres they will not spin on the rim, and as they are not steer tyres they don't get the side ways pressure when turning corners!, so they won't peel off the rim at these low pressures.
If you run your trailer tyre pressures at 10psi or below when on sand your trailer will just float along behind you
Cool - thanks Yoda! I've not had too much experience with trailers off-road. I'll be sure to do this next time....

I'll be updating this thread shortly with a new post of our recent trip to Cape York ..... Just gotta sort the photos out!

Kev.
Old 04-07-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 61 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Hi Matt,

The trailer is just a standard box trailer and to be honest it went really well on Stradbroke Island (it did drag a bit in the soft sand but that's expected).

If the trailer was to be used off-road quite often I would look into the heavier duty version, but for what we used it really wasn't needed.

Kev.
Thanks Kev

I was looking at an off road version for the higher sides and ground clearance.

Given your experience I might have a look at heavy duty on roads just so see the price difference.

It would just be used on Moreton, Fraser and the odd weekend trip to place like the Senic Rim. No Tele track action.
Old 07-11-2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey Kev, your GC is looking good. What do you mean by mods when you say "front lip"? What exactly have you done to it? It looks like it doesn't hang as low. How much does it help with clearance? Can the lower air dam still be removed easily with the nudge bar installed?

Thanks,
Mike

Quote:
Hi guys,

Numb Thumbs has inspired me to create this thread as I have enjoyed reading his. Hopefully you'll do the same with mine!

Standard - The day we picked it up:

Start of the Mods - Mopar Rock rails, Chrome exhaust tip + rear pad surround + front lip, Custom LED Garage Door Button, LED DRL Bulbs, Prorack Roof rails, Mopar recovery hook:

If you have any questions - fire away!

Kev.
Old 15-02-2014
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Kevin, I'm interested in the garage remote button you have installed, how do you program your remote into it and or could you direct me to the brand/model you purchased? Cheers Nick
Old 15-02-2014
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Hi Kev,
Been admiring your handy work and the pics..you were nicely bogged there...get yourself a set of Maxtraxs mate worth their weight in gold.
Old 16-02-2014
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke75 View Post
Hey Kev, your GC is looking good. What do you mean by mods when you say "front lip"? What exactly have you done to it? It looks like it doesn't hang as low. How much does it help with clearance? Can the lower air dam still be removed easily with the nudge bar installed?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I added the chrome front bottom lip that comes standard with Limited and Overland models.

I did remove the plastic air deflectors below the bumper that are in front of the wheels. This was mainly done for aesthetic reasons!

To remove the lower air dam you'd have to remove the nudge bar (4 bolts). However we did Cape York OTT with the air dam on!

Kev.