Blown up my CRD - Page 24 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 19-01-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK

Long warranties are a sales gimmick IMHO ... not a verification of the vehicle quality ... Interesting that the hallowed Toyota brand was one of the last to start playing the longer warranty game ... wonder why that was ??? .... being such a great brand and all ..... [/QUOTE]

Toyota might have been one of the last with a long warranty but at least they had a bit of customer service , they put a new long motor [4.2 diesel] in my 80 series when it had done 120,000 kms & it was 2 years old .
Old 19-01-2009
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by micq View Post
Toyota might have been one of the last with a long warranty but at least they had a bit of customer service , they put a new long motor [4.2 diesel] in my 80 series when it had done 120,000 kms & it was 2 years old .

Not disputing that fact and there were plenty of dodgy engines fixed in earlier series too. Took some argueing in some cases though ....

Point was ... Toyota were realist enough not to offer more than what was practical ... untill, they had to equal everybody elses crazy sales offers.

Toyota IMHO, has attacked the carmarket with the same tenacity and attention to detail as the Jap military applied to Pearl Harbour and the Asia Pacific in WW2. One could liken toyota warranty claims to kamikaze pilots ... a sacrifice to the overall domination planned ... and that is the plan ... Excellent business sense and principles the Japanese have - in relation to company achievement ... and Toyota is one of the best in that regard.

Prime example is the HiLux Dual Cab .... They bring out a great vehicle design back in the early 80s ... tease buyers with a slightly better motor every couple of years until nearly 30yrs later - it finally has the motor size it should have had in the first place - to get the power to weight ratio right. In the meantime all the suckers in the overseas markets are oohing and aahing at the slight improvements - designed to bait the hook for for future sales.

Ther undoing may llie in the fact that all their models are in the bling category now ... workutes getting banged around the building site or wherever, smashing million dollar fancy headlights etc., are going to lose favour eventually.
Old 20-01-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

So, has Toyota's competition taken a wrong turn over-engineering their products? e.g. Jeep, Land Rover et al...

Have Jeep and Land Rover marketers pushed technology too hard with their engines and 4WD systems? Can too many megatons of computer software assistance leave us stranded in the Bush?

I have read some posts here that would have me thinking that I am lucky to have a selec-trac lever by my passenger side and nothing more...

I have seen some videos of Commanders and Grand Chekkas doing amazing things in the car parks or simulated 4WD conditions. Sometimes, I do get Quadra drive envy, owning a 95 XJ, but I suspect that all this whiz bang technology that is hardly used by many Commander and Grand Chekka owners (they spend more time on the blacktop) comes with a customer service downside. Am I wrong?

Should computers do this much thinking for us, and is there a danger in allowing this to happen, and for marketeers to push this technology which is often more prone to software and mechanical failure, and equally important, customer dissatisfaction with the product???

Last edited by eksjay; 20-01-2009 at 06:19 AM.
Old 20-01-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,319 Posts

I have looked around and the days of the work FWD are gone, Toyota, Nissan and Landy have a work vehicle but only about one model each, the rest of their line up and all the other makes are Toorak tractors, Hilux was a great work ute once but it's just too fancy now and Jeep never really had a work/hard yakka vehicle here and in fact I don't think they even make one now which is a pity.
I know if I even think of chucking a fence post or hay bale in the back of the WG I'm gonna cop it, my old Brumby has to do it.
If I still went to the places that I used to go in my S3 Landy with my Jeep the electronics would worry me a lot, fording the Shoalhaven after a flood and off in the wilds of Araluen are not the places to have electonic problems and they usually are not the wire and tape repairs that used to be the norm and the same with my Truck roadside repairs are not that easy now.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 20-01-2009
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over 7K hits on this thread. Interesting reading and this forum certainly contains insightful and informative people. The $77K replacement engine cost makes me pleased I only forked out $3K for my 97 XJ all up. I have already had my say as to who I thought was right and wrong, so I think I will just continue to enjoy my old Jeep and leave the new fangled, multi-computer driven jobbies to those of you with obviously more dough than me.
Old 20-01-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 440 Times in 265 Posts

The new fangled Jeeps are not that bad mate and apart from a few well documented niggles, catastrophic failures like this blown up CRD are not commonplace. I don't think we should freak out or hit the panic button based on a couple of isolated examples.
Old 20-01-2009
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=eksjay;932854]

I have seen some videos of Commanders and Grand Chekkas doing amazing things in the car parks or simulated 4WD conditions. Sometimes, I do get Quadra drive envy, owning a 95 XJ, but I suspect that all this whiz bang technology that is hardly used by many Commander and Grand Chekka owners (they spend more time on the blacktop) comes with a customer service downside. Am I wrong?QUOTE]

Here is a vid of my old WH at Pacific Pines actually offroad. Quadradrive is brilliant and miss the Grand sometimes. Some of us do/did use them offroad

JTO