Commander Bull Bar campaign - Page 11 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Yeah - it looks the shit mate!!

I have been too jealous to comment so far, but some of my envy has subsided now....

Easily the most "complete" Commander I have seen to date - I cannot really think of anything that it's missing. A bloody awesome job and you should be proud of the way it has turned out.

How is the vision out of the back window with the spare wheel on the new swing away? Do you think it could be dropped at all, or does it need to be that high?

Also - do Wolf 4x4 confirm ADR compliance for the bars, including the integrated towbar hitch? Are the little holes in the bars for parking sensors or bolt access holes?

Cheers,
Hanna
Old 05-05-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 86 Times in 40 Posts

I'm pretty sure ADR stipulates vehicles with Unitbody make up can not cut the body, nor can you have a fairlead on the front face.

good looking Commander though, I like it.
Old 05-05-2015
MudSplasher

Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
Yeah - it looks the shit mate!!

I have been too jealous to comment so far, but some of my envy has subsided now....

Easily the most "complete" Commander I have seen to date - I cannot really think of anything that it's missing. A bloody awesome job and you should be proud of the way it has turned out.

How is the vision out of the back window with the spare wheel on the new swing away? Do you think it could be dropped at all, or does it need to be that high?

Also - do Wolf 4x4 confirm ADR compliance for the bars, including the integrated towbar hitch? Are the little holes in the bars for parking sensors or bolt access holes?

Cheers,
Hanna

Thanks Hanna... There's a lot more to do on it yet!!
I'm very happy with the way it looks, some areas in the execution of the final product could be better, but hey, that was the whole scenario from the start was to provide feedback to Wolf so that they could work with Maniac to improve the final product.

The vision out of the rear window is terrible to say the least, but I expected that anyway - a rear view camera is on the cards at some stage. Fortunately I have the luxury of a company car now, so she isn't driven around much day to day, so parking isn't a major issue.
I think the spare is pretty well in the right place, any lower then that and it would interfere with your hitch, or your hitch would have to sit down lower and thus probably lose a bit of the high departure angle. And I guess from a 4wding perspective, your a lot less likely to drag the spare on any steep drops.

There is no official compliance with ADR on these bars, due to the very limited run that Wolf is likely to see with the Commander bars, it would cost them a couple of bars for testing, and all the other costs involved with making them compliant. It's just not worth it from a business point of view.
In saying that though, I would be more comfortable towing big loads with this bar over my old Hayman Reese towbar, or a factory Jeep towbar. The mounting bolts are significantly larger then the bolts used to mount your Hayman Reese or factory Jeep towbar, and the bar is also bolted to your subframes. So I think its better having the ball load spread across the rear sub frame as opposed to all the load pulling down in one area in the middle.
I will at some stage later down the track go and see a couple of mates who have a Fabrication shop, and get in contact with their engineer (who passed the GVM upgrade on Dad's WH), and look at possibly engineering the rear bar for legalities then anything else.
As for the front bar, no petrusions, no hoops, no sharp edges or anything else - with the incoming bull bars regs in NSW over the next couple of years, it will be a long ling time before I get picked out of the crowd

By the way, all the holes are for vehicles fitted with parking sensors... Not sure what I'm going to do with mine, I'll probably leave them open.

Last edited by JRJ33P; 05-05-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2015
MudSplasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDave View Post
I'm pretty sure ADR stipulates vehicles with Unitbody make up can not cut the body, nor can you have a fairlead on the front face.

good looking Commander though, I like it.

I think you might be right with the unitbody rule. But, in saying that, no one can convince me that what we cut out is stronger then what we put back in there lol.

As for the fairlead, what ever winch I decide to put in there will have synthetic rope, so will only need to bolt on a plastic hawse for that. Thats if I can get past the double sided tape we used to mount the number plate haha

Old 05-05-2015
Lowranger Shocker

JRJ33P, What size are the sensor holes, i may have some caps for you?
Old 05-05-2015
MudSplasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeDave View Post
JRJ33P, What size are the sensor holes, i may have some caps for you?
Thats a good question.... I've got to stop in at the workshop tomorrow, I'll get a set of verniers out and check them while I'm there.

Shall let you know.

Cheers!

Old 05-05-2015
Lowranger Shocker

i'm tipping you'll have 24mm holes like all Jeeps, if so you're in luck
Post New Thread  Reply