Stradbroke - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-07-2002
HydroKing

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default Stradbroke

I hear Stradbroke is nice to visit. Quiet is the name of the game. Fraser is too packed these days. I'm planning a trip over to either Stradbroke or Moreton for something different. Has anyone been over and could get me Barge details, about booking and price etc. I hear it's $88 return to Stradbroke and about $120 to Moreton return. Any info would be a big help.

Cheers!
Old 23-07-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stradbroke

Strady is mostly bitumen really, not a whole lot of 4wding that I'm aware of. Moreton is a lot of fun...could spend a week there (and that would help with getting value out of the barge)... There are 2 barges that go over.. The Combie Trader II (leaves Scarborough boat harbour for the North End of the Island) and Moreton Venture (departs Lytton for Tangalooma Wrecks).

Give em a call for current prices and timetables... CT II ph 3203 6399 MV 3895 1000.

Its around 120 return for up to 4 adults, + another 30 bucks for the permit to drive there (you buy that from the ferry people).... can also get fuel on the island in a couple of spots.
Old 24-07-2002
HydroKing

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default Stradbroke

OUCH!

I might just keep going to Rainbow for a while...$3.50 per person per night for the National park fees!

I'll get to Moreton one of these days!!

Cheers!
Old 25-07-2002
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Stradbroke

went to staddy years ago, quite disappointed, not really the isolation that you would hope, only very small and for te cost of the ferry its a tad over rated. moreton, never been, but again, ferry price, go for a week, and do it in summer so you can enjoy the swimming.
Old 25-07-2002
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stradbroke

Yeah that was our feeling, theres still sand, surf, not a lot of difference.

[ 25 July 2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: TheDoc ]
Old 05-01-2004
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Straddy was a great place to go up to about 5 or more years ago - have'nt had the chance to go there since.
Some of the inland tracks around Brown Lake and Blue lake were very picturesque - for some time now they have closed down the Blue Lake tracks. The lakes were excellent for swimming in the summer. I knew people who worked for the mines - they took us to stacks of tracks including sandy hill climbs no less challenging than the northern big red climb @ birdsville.
We camped on Flinders Beach each x-mas for many years - just drove up the beach for 15minutes or so and found a spot. The rangers would come around just like DI but I'm not sure if you can still do that today.
We saved so much petrol money compared to the 100mile drive up to D.I. that it helped offset cost of barge - and you could have a few quiet ales for the hour on the barge instead of driving for that extra hour.
The drive down Main beach is identical to the drive from tewantin to D.I. in so much as its a fair hike down to the Jumpin-pin bar from Point Lookout.
You can still do that drive now though you do have to get a permit.
I took a couple of fourbies from work and an overseas visitor (family and all) over there once - they were so blown out just by the barge trip alone. Once we got on to main beach and started driving down to the pin - well - their reaction reminds us yet again just how bloody tremendous the land of oz is.

I would still recommend any one who hasn't been over there yet should at least have a look

Old 05-01-2004
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The barge takes two hours to get to Moreton so price is not so bad. Probably makes it cheaper than any other beach national park if you live in Brisbane. Fuel at Moreton at the Bulwer Garage, where the combie trader pulls in or at The Gutter Bar in Kooringal and sells for around $1.20/litre. There is a great bait/tackle shop with almost mainland prices at Bulwer if fishing is your thing. Try to come out of School holidays as the traffic is crazy (for a Moreton Island Resident). Come in school holidays if you must, it's better than missing out. Not a lot of tracks here, mainly beach driving. The inland tracks get seriously soft when they have been dry and had a lot of traffic. For those not experienced in soft sand driving...get some tips, I've seen plenty of "experts" with sand egg on their faces! Moreton has plenty of campsites, spectacular beaches, crystal clear water, great swimming and snorkelling not too mention the whales from june to october. I could go on and on (already have), will happily give more info for anyone who's interested.
Tangalooma Resort has a website that includes virtual tours of a few spots on the island.

www.tangalooma.com
Post New Thread  Reply