TJ: 05 Wrangler - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-09-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Default TJ: 05 Wrangler

Well as some of you may know i bought a TJ earlier this year. It came with allot of fun but also allot of problems from previous owner.
When i bought it it had 33's, 3 1/2 lift long arm conversion and a few other bits. Since then i've discovered the suspension was done very rough and dodgy and never maintained properly, the diffs were in pretty bad shape and only had 3.07 gears and it had got muddied on the inside of the car at some point.

Well since then, the rear diff finally decide its life had expired and blew the crown and pinion out the side of the housing. So the rebuild of the Jeep started. Took it off the road about 3 months ago to repair the diff. Ended up deciding on changing to 4.56 gears, air lockers front and rear, full rebuild of all suspension including all hi flex joints and bushes, new steering setup and tie rod ends with hd tie rod, new ball joints, new brakes front and rear, 3.5cfm air compressor, 9L air tank, full on board air system with air outlets front and rear for tyres and air tools, rear storage drawer, dual battery, LED lighting in the rear, 2x 20L fuel carries on the rear, 3x 10L water carriers inside and fridge is due this week.

Got it all and running again during the week and had the wheel alignment done this morning, been driving it most of the day to try and get some kays on the gears to run them in and i have to say, what a difference it has all made. Everything is now very tight and precise with steering and diffs, no death wobbles from the steering, no clunking from the diff gears or bushes.

Gearing it all up to do a VIC high country trip in November for 2 weeks. Just need to do the high lift jack on the bonnet and led flood light all round and will be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cp5681345936211001410.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	69430   Click image for larger version

Name:	cp5291876183084806332.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	69431   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	69432   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ4.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	69433   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ5.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	69434  

Last edited by Aus-Jeep; 20-09-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 20-09-2014
Established Member

A few more pics of it, nearly finished, just need to carpet the rear area and put the fridge in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TJ6.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	69435   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ7.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	69436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140730_193130.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	69438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140730_193230.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	69439  

Last edited by Aus-Jeep; 20-09-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 20-09-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Nice work mate!
Seen your build over on earth.
I'm about to do some pretty serious (sick) mods to my jeep, after breaking a front axle nearly 2 years ago.
Old 23-09-2014
Established Member

Thanks Jeep112. Hopefully you'll be back p and running soon so we can hit the trails together?
Old 23-09-2014
Established Member

Started on trimming out the back of it tonight. Got most of it done, just need to finish off around the right hand water drum holder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TJ8.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	69498  
Old 03-10-2014
Established Member

Well after a few minor dramas over the last week, being 2 out of 4 oxygen sensors failed so i have now replaced all 4 (FYI if anyone needs any parts for Jeeps, goto rockauto.com they have everything ridiculously cheap and very fast freight, 2-3 days from the US), also changed the alternator charging style from a computer control voltage to an external adjustable voltage regulator. For $100 including postage this is the best little kit i have seen. For those of you that have never heard of these, then try googling Jeep external regulator, there is a guy in the US putting these kits together for the Jeeps, best kit going.
Quick Start Alternators
Also on ebay for less postage cost

Also in the process of all this i finally managed to finish trimming the back out and also putting the fridge in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TJ9.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	69585   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ10.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	69586   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ11.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	69587  
Old 06-10-2014
Established Member

Well it got its first little minor test out today, went into some local bush area near me and decided to give the lockers and suspension a bit of a test.

Only minor issue i had was the front air locker line blew off on its first little flex test. Cleaned the line and fitting, trimmed a small amount of the line so it was new again and put it back on, from there on was good as gold.

Couldn't really find anywhere decent enough to stretch its legs both front and rear at the same time but this 1 was good for testing out the front. Found out that it still has heaps more flex left in it before the flex joints bind up but is being limited by the shock length.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TJ12.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	69601   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ13.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	69602   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ14.jpg
Views:	105