TJ: Tigger's V8 - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-08-2010
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

Macca2801

Quote:
Maybe your lovely wife is giving you a subtle hint!!
she was at work all day so wasnt her shifting keys. this is really freaky

BennyWA

Quote:
Bandit'll be jealous!
Bandit cant be jealous - he is already taller than Tigger will ever be!
Old 26-08-2010
AJOR Gold

ok, so here is where this is going to start: first to fix the front diff. being that the front axle keeps bending without effort (and NO, i DID'NT jump it) a hi-pinion D30 from an XJ will be taking its place. a reverse cut 4.56 R&P with an ARB locker have been procured. add to this new ball joints and bushes and USA Alloy Super 30 shafts (30 spline) w/HD unis (which will no doubt blow out one day and will be replaced with CTMs) and a custom truss. that should sort the front axle dilemma and is deservedly first on the list of to do's. we have already upgraded the rims to alloy 15x10s and found some preserved (and virtually unused) Mickey Thompson bias ply 35x13.50s claws. New SuperLift discos are already in place.

Currently on order we have:
Novak Engine Mounts
Novak Tranny Mount
Novak Electric Fan
Novak Fuel Integration Kit (this is a new product that will allow 65psi+ to the V

less important crap is on order from various sources

more orders will be placed with Novak as the project continues (ie: tranny to transfer case adaptor, intake ducting, ceramic coated headers, t-case shifter, etc...) im buying in small quantities to avoid excess tax as we are in no huge rush.

there was some debate as to what tranny and transfer case would be run. in the end (and for our purpose/circumstance here), and in the interest of just getting the bloody car back on the trail, i've decided to run a stock NP-231 with a mega short SYE (instead of a Stak or Atlas) behind a 4L60E (instead of a TH400 custom built) which would cost more than the V8 package alone. i figure at least we will get a few miles out of that combo until something breaks and then we will upgrade as required. money vs time is something im willing to play against each other so we can enjoy a car that has sat for far too long. the perfect combo would be an Atlas 3.8 with a severely tweaked 400 but we will use a 4L60E with a minor tweak for now. the 231 will probably live forever.

Tigger will be getting a custom 4-core alloy crossflow radiator and probably the same B&M tranny cooler setup as the guinea pig (it works well so why change it?) the big money on this swap is gauges. if you want a tach you need to add an additional unit to accomodate the holden V8 (so basically one dead tach on the cluster and one new unit on the dash which is a horrible option). or you could just do away with the tach altogether. i reckon for now we will just run the jeep pcm in piggyback with the holden pcm and keep the factory gauges. we can always upgrade them to Auto Meter units later (like on Thomas) and then do away with the Jeep pcm.

so there we sit. just waiting on parts (whats new in Perth?) more to come soon!

Last edited by Rodgebone; 26-08-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 26-08-2010
TJ DRIVER

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

nice , do you think this one will be quicker and easier than the last now that you have done it once ?
Old 26-08-2010
Sponsored by Centrelink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

pics,

another one rodge, must really love heeps
Old 27-08-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

G'day Rodge, regarding the tacho Novak (or maybe a local auto elec) offer a service to change the TJ tacho from a 6 to an 8 and therefore will handle the LS1. My gauge cluster is with them at the moment - i'll let you know how they go! They also change the 'check engine' light to a GM one to handle the signal from your GM ECM. good luck mate!
Old 27-08-2010
AJOR Gold

the spambulance
Quote:
do you think this one will be quicker and easier than the last now that you have done it once ?
the last one is well documented so if we stick to the same game plan it should go pretty quick. but when i consider all the non-Jeep stuff life has to offer i am giving myself 3 months to be realistic. while the actual job should only take 2-3 weeks finding time to do it will be the real challenge. then there's the time spent rounding up all the parts and sending stuff out for sublet. sublets were far and away the most time consuming part of the last project.

Cambo - lemme know how ya go with the cluster. i didnt know Novak offered that service (and ive scrutinized them thoroughly). will be interesting to know how much it costs as im weighing up whether to go aftermarket gauges at a later date or stick with the stock cluster.

just received a new HighRock High Access bar for the front - the first bit to arrive. here are pics of the initial progress!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020712.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	42203   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020713.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	42204   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020714.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	42205  
Old 27-08-2010
Sponsored by Centrelink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

looks good rodge, seen that thing on youtube getting a good thrashing.

tough car.

good luck with the build