WK2 MY14 No Mud Flaps- is it legal?? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-11-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default WK2 MY14 No Mud Flaps- is it legal??

Took delivery of My MY14 Grand and while at a mate's workshop he said "Is that legal..thought all new 4x4 have to have mud flaps on rear to get compliance"
Well I took a look at the Australian Design Rules 42/04 section 14.2.5 which states "(not less than) 300mm (from the ground) for vehicles designed for off-road use"..Now I measured mine to the lower guard and it's 360mm (no mud flaps as delivered)..Question is Jeep delivering non-compliant unroadworthy 4x4 vehicles??

Last edited by Wanderer; 14-11-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 14-11-2013
searcher

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Every vehicle is complied before it is released to the dealers.
Old 14-11-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Which means the guy who did the compliance must have missed it.. 300mm and no more than 20º from where the tyre hits the road to thw bottom of the mudflap or guard. Problem is pretty much every vehicle on the road doesn't meet these regs!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 14-11-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Yep or another $78.00 for Jeep parts..Geting a bit like inkjet printers...Cheap to buy but expensive for the consumables.
Old 14-11-2013
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

We've got a Suzuki Jimny as a second car and it's the same. Mud flaps are an optional extra that we didn't take so it was technically illegal from the day we took it out of the showroom.

It seems that nothing is black or white, only varying shades of grey. There are the rules they have to follow and the ones that don't seem to matter that much. When you see some of the blatantly illegal special JK's that some dealers sell mud flaps are the least of their concerns.
Old 14-11-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
14.2.5 Notwithstanding the requirements specified above
the wheel guard including a mudflap (if fitted) need not be
less than
230 mm from the ground for other than off-road
vehicles, or 300 mm in the case of vehicles designed for
off-road operation.
Need not be less?? what dose that mean?

I take this to mean dose not have to be closer to the ground then 230mm (car) or 300mm (4WD)

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/files/4204.pdf
Old 14-11-2013
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Need not be less?? what dose that mean?

I take this to mean dose not have to be closer to the ground then 230mm (car) or 300mm (4WD)

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/files/4204.pdf
Read that way sort of contradicts

Quote:
14.2.1 General Requirements
All wheels of a motor vehicle or trailer (including a
‘Prime Mover’ capable of operating without a ‘Semi-
trailer’) must be provided with wheel guards which must
be so designed as to protect other road users, as far as
practicable, against thrown-up stones, mud, ice, snow and
water
and to reduce for those users the dangers due to
contact with the moving wheels

Another case of double speak?? If read "can be higher or needs none" then how high & how do you comply with 14.2.1 & 14.2.2 Fig 2 but then I'm confused..You really need to consider section 14.2 as a whole I guess...MY13 ( so I've been told) had mud flaps and MY14 none bit like how the front parking sensors have disappeared..The old "trim the extras....keep the price down" trick and pay a premium to get them back...and on it goes bash plates, tow hooks etc.

Last edited by Wanderer; 15-11-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply