putting temp sender in trans sump plug - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-11-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default putting temp sender in trans sump plug

can this be done in place of drilling a new hole and welding a nut? i just bought a fan for the trans cooler (am placing it behind bumper cross member) and i read that the best temp reading is in the sump and not the lines. suggestions??
Old 25-11-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Get a "Watchdog" mate,it just bolts to a sump bolt.You can get a model that triggers fans etc.

Cheap as chips and made here in Brissie...

http://enginewatchdog.com/tm4.html

Last edited by Easy Rollins 1; 25-11-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 25-11-2011
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

Yes mate that is correct as it is reading the gearbox temp.
I have installed many coolers on diffs,boxes,etc over the years.

As I say on here and in the trade that the number 1 killer of autos is heat.

Why do you want to run a temp sensor out of the auto sump plug when it could be ripped off when you are off road?

Auto trans fluid boiling point ballpark normal fluids such as Dexron is
315 degrees c or 599 degrees f.

Now this may seem quite excessive to heat..315 degrees C. Wow that's a lot.

Now, take this lot into account.

Where is your stock auto trans coooler on the XJ (and it is a little pissy thing anyway) in front of the A/C condenser, the grille,( your driving lights and bullbar and winch if you have them) and radiator.

So you can see now the amount of extra heat that poor little thing has to put up with and with any restriction in airflow it makes it all worse for both the tranny cooler and our poor radiator. Adding anything else to our vehicle makes that poor little sucker work harder.

My advice is to get a bigger cooler if you are really concerned about frying the box (as we all are and which I am doing) and mount it in the original position. You may have to play mount holes of course.

I have been looking at scalloping my grille fins out so I can run twin 10" thermos from the front to blow inwards.

Halfway got it sussed at the moment.

You don't have to do this just run a bigger cooler unit.

Many, many years ago I used to run a Class 7 off road racer as co-pilot FJ-40 with Ken O'Keefe who founded Ultimate Suspension in NSW.

I was Ken's first apprentice. This thing ran a worked 350 chev with believe it or not a tricked powerglide behind it.

It was a bullet.

Ken ran the auto cooler all the way down the back just above the rear axle and bolted it to the floor and stuck twin 10" thermos on it.

Now I am not telling you to do this.

Just get a bigger cooler and mount it in place of the original mate.

You can never have an auto run to cold.

You don't have to go the grille cut as I am thinking.

Run a bigger cooler and the stock system in good conditon wil handle it.

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.
Old 26-11-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey easy rollins, sonds impresssive. shame the twin model doesn't come with fan relay, that would be optimal for me. one question though. you said to hook it up to the sump plug. how is that different than to put a sender there? wouldn't a sender and gauge be a bit cheaper?
Old 26-11-2011
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandave View Post
and i read that the best temp reading is in the sump and not the lines. suggestions??
I've got my sender in the lines, but it doesn't give you the overall temp of the reservoir. I took the easy option not the best.
Old 26-11-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandave View Post
hey easy rollins, sonds impresssive. shame the twin model doesn't come with fan relay, that would be optimal for me. one question though. you said to hook it up to the sump plug. how is that different than to put a sender there? wouldn't a sender and gauge be a bit cheaper?

I said to hook it up to a sump bolt...of which you have 19 to choose from.
Old 26-11-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rollins 1 View Post
I said to hook it up to a sump bolt...of which you have 19 to choose from.
my mistake.
Post New Thread  Reply